Those Stinkn Dbls Lobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Stinkn Dbls Lobs

So, I like to poach and cross while playing Dbls. Problem is I get lobbed when I start doing that. My partners says to stay back at the service line while he serves to take away the lob. And yes, that does stop the opponent from lobbing. Trouble is, now I'm too far back from the net to poach and cross and make easy volleys. Understand, I'm not hugging the net ; just at the normal net position 2-4 feet from it in an offensive volleying position. But staying back takes that away, causing me to have to volly poaches from the so called "no mans land"

What's the solution?

Rt. (4.499, on a good day)

I think you are trying to do to many jobs and you have simplify your role as the net man. That means your partner needs to cover good lobs while you handle putaway mid court balls and short lobs. Also you might want to try to vary where you stand at the start of each point and move to affect your opponent's return plan. For example you can start back on the service line and move in as your partner tosses the ball. The name of the game is getting the returner to hit to spots of the court you want them to hit to.

Comment

Beating determined lobbers...

Some great advice from lobanddropshot.

Why not read these two articles. They are packed with rock solid doubles advice, plus there is a section on playing determined lobbers.

Stotty

Comment

how to poach against lobbers

Robtennis. Right now I have more questions than answers before I can help you. Are you playing the same players a lot? Do they know that you're poaching all the time thus they are planning to lob in advance? Does the lobbing completely take away all poaching opportunities? Are you winning the matches when this happens? Are you poaching so often that there is no element of surprise?
        Here's what I would say without knowing the answers to those questions. If you do anything too often, it loses its effectiveness and opponents can easily nullify it by planning ahead. You no longer have the element of surprise. It would be like blitzing on every play in football. The offense plans for you to do it and figures out ways to render it ineffective.
        My advice would be to incorporate poaching as a part of an overall plan to win your partners serve. Some poaching, some faking, standing in different areas of the box. Start close and drop back against a known lobber or work it out in advance with your partner that you're going and they're covering lobs over your head. In essence, don't be predictable! Let me know if this helps and let me know if there are any other questions you may have.
        Bill

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7404 users online. 3 members and 7401 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X