Locker Room Power: The Ladder of Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locker Room Power: The Ladder of Gain

Let's discuss David Sammel's article "Locker Room Power: The Ladder of Gain"

Step by step. Point by point. Focusing on the execution, not on the outcome. Pretty soon, shots turn into points, points turn into games, games turn into sets, sets turn into winning matches. It's an easy concept, harder to master.
    In a fast food nation, where people want and get things so quickly, tennis is the ultimate test of patience and perseverance and long term results. How disciplined are you at executing the same winning patterns over and over again? How aware are you on what's happening in the match? Who's doing what to whom and how to change it or keep it going. Tennis is a great sport. Shame that the nuances and art gets lost on so many.

Interesting that the author talks about winning and losing. More on the latter from me in the future...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 10-07-2015, 03:48 AM.

Comment

A New Paradigm

Great article! This is a new and powerful way of conceptualizing the important motivational factor of goal setting in the service of advancement. By stressing the importance of homing in on gain, rather than thinking about loss, Sammel effectively reframes the nature of the challenge. This serves to remove a lot of stress, fear and anxiety that is associated with striving to move forward! He puts forth what amounts to a motivational system--the ultimate beauty or which--is that it can be applied to virtually any other aspect of life. You name it, and you can use this system to improve it. Please excuse me now, suddenly I feel like playing my guitar and singing. Good-bye.

Comment

Mr. Mac,

I agree. His idea of a ladder is a mental relief.

Comment

Play to gain

Thanks for the kind words guys. The book is the culmination of 40 years of playing and coaching at all levels. The hardest part was calling time on the manuscript and publishing because we constantly evolve and each time I read the book I felt improvements could be made or that my thinking was moving further - however I'm proud that the key principles of my philosophy are now framed in a book and although I will evolve as a teacher, the foundations are solid. What I believe improves with every excited and curious teacher/coach is that we are constantly looking for simpler or more graphic ways of explaining our ideas. The amount of tools we have in our box to explain the same thing increases which in turn helps more people "get" what we are saying or showing.

However over many years I have not yet developed or come across a better analogy then the play to gain ladder and I'm delighted that it is continually brought to my attention as one of the favourite chapters in the book.

Comment

Curious about your thoughts on winning and losing?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            Step by step. Point by point. Focusing on the execution, not on the outcome. Pretty soon, shots turn into points, points turn into games, games turn into sets, sets turn into winning matches. It's an easy concept, harder to master.
            In a fast food nation, where people want and get things so quickly, tennis is the ultimate test of patience and perseverance and long term results. How disciplined are you at executing the same winning patterns over and over again? How aware are you on what's happening in the match? Who's doing what to whom and how to change it or keep it going. Tennis is a great sport. Shame that the nuances and art gets lost on so many.

Interesting that the author talks about winning and losing. More on the latter from me in the future...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            I agree that tennis is the great perseverance sport and the fact that so many over 30's are winning is testament to the art of hanging in. Waiting to hear your thoughts....

Comment

The best part of the ladder of gain for me, is that the player takes ownership of it as an individual. It's so important to highlight to aspiring players that it's their own journey, and they shouldn't be distracted by what other people are doing or saying, or obsessing about where they are on their journey up the ladder in comparison with other players.

Comment

Nick W

Well said. It is great to have some new input on the board--not that I mind the guys whose passion make this what it is... SO very refreshing compared to the message board at TennisWarehouse where I like to lurk and observe crazy people fight.

Comment

Originally posted by davidsammel View Post
                  I agree that tennis is the great perseverance sport and the fact that so many over 30's are winning is testament to the art of hanging in. Waiting to hear your thoughts....
                  Thanks David. Please stay tuned. I can't give away too much but...another article from me is coming out, and it addresses a few points that compliment your insights + articles. When John feels the timing is right to publish it, he will. That's all I can legally say at this point Y'know... Confidentiality

The suspense is building.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Last edited by klacr; 11-28-2015, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicStrokes View Post
                    Nick W

Well said. It is great to have some new input on the board--not that I mind the guys whose passion make this what it is... SO very refreshing compared to the message board at TennisWarehouse where I like to lurk and observe crazy people fight.
                    Thanks

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3716 users online. 4 members and 3712 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X