• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible Budge Teaching Video

Nice find, thanks!

Comment

Thank You

Originally posted by ClassicStrokes View Post
      ClassicStrokes, you certainly put the correct title on your post: "Incredible Budge Teaching Video."

There is so much to react to, more than I will here.

Oh Bottle you always read too much into everything. Sure but I'm going to do it anyway. We start with the prolonged closeups of the shaman's eyes. He has been hurt during World War II and will still be a great player though not as great as he was. Is that truth apparent in his unusually intelligent eyes? I think so. A teacher then.

On the forehand (there are more good looks at his forehand here than I have seen anywhere else) his minimalist loop consists of these sequenced elements:
      1) slow layback of hand from wrist at end of his backswing followed by 2) rolling down from forearm combined with drop by the hand of no more than a couple inches.

Smooth and mild and early-- the opposite of the harsh and rather mechanical mondo that characterizes every modern forehand on the tour.

So what is the below average tennis player but student of the game going to do? Simple. Steal from the moderns and oldies both.

On backhand, look where this fellow rather known for his backhand places the tip of his thumb. On pointy ridge at the bottom of the Eastern steppe. Now look at what has happened to his thumb as he demonstrates the semiwestern grip. It has followed his hand while maintaining same relation to that hand. I take reinforcement from that to my decision to think only of thumb placement when I form any of my basic grips.

On serve, he demonstrates a wrapped thumb and an easy motion very salubrious for all the 2015 players with left knee replacements.

On volleys, sometimes he blocks and sometimes he sticks. Another way of putting this is that sometime he doesn't turn his hips into the shot and sometime he does.
      Last edited by bottle; 10-21-2015, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8030 users online. 2 members and 8028 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X