2015 China Open…ATP 1000…Beijing, China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 China Open…ATP 1000…Beijing, China

Rafael Nadal versus Novak Djokovic in the finals. Novak breaks serve in the first game.
    Last edited by don_budge; 10-11-2015, 11:43 PM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Scorelines...

I didn't see the final. The scoreline was very straightforward. Sometimes just seeing the scoreline is enough to gauge how well the top four are playing. Going into the final Novak had dropped very few games...that says a lot to me. Nadal scorelines tend to show he is still struggling. I am beginning to wonder if he will ever get back to where he was.
    Stotty

Comment

Wham. Bam. Thank you Ma'am

Djokovic slams door on any talk of a resurgent Nadal. No answers for Novak. Djokovic playing at a level heads and shoulders above the rest. Not sure when he is going to lose next, but when he does, his opponent is going to play spectacular. Oh, and the opponent will probably need to get to the net as well.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

The Winner is…Djokovic hands down

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        I didn't see the final. The scoreline was very straightforward. Sometimes just seeing the scoreline is enough to gauge how well the top four are playing. Going into the final Novak had dropped very few games...that says a lot to me. Nadal scorelines tend to show he is still struggling. I am beginning to wonder if he will ever get back to where he was.
        Novak Djokovic defeats Rafael Nadal 6-2, 6-2 as Nadal is only a shadow of his former self. That aside…there is the tale of the tape.

This is modern tennis at its best and to be frank…it isn't really all that good. The one dimensional nature of the play looks almost amateurish compared to the likes of players in previous eras. The game has devolved. A lot of people talk about the extreme "physicality" of the modern game and I for one am not buying into this nonsense. Anybody that knows anything about tennis knows that it is much more demanding to run forwards and backwards compared to going from side to side.

Novak for his part breezed through the draw. He is in form and has been for some years now. I started this thread some years ago…March 30, 2011. I deleted my initial comment…perhaps it was because of the initial reactions by some forum member who was less than gracious with regard to my introduction to the forum…I think it had something to do with my referencing Bill Tilden. Wink. I wish now that I hadn't deleted it…I was prophesizing the dominance of Djokovic very early on in his run up the ladder.

He is by far the toughest nut to crack in modern tennis…except for Roger Federer. Roger, even at the age of 34, is still the gold standard in two out of three sets on a surface that isn't outright set up for the modern backcourt game. Look at this final in Beijing…it could have been played on a clay court when you look at the point patterns. No wonder Jimmy Connors bites his tongue when he is being baited to assess the modern game. I know exactly what he is thinking.

Between the two of these modern day "warriors" as some are want to call them their net play and approach play is what you call "developmentally interrupted"…it's retarded in simple terms. Routine volley putaways are applauded as if they are a remarkable shot in the dark when in reality it is only that they are so far and few between the audience is obligated to go crazy for any kind of change of pace. It's stupid…really very stupid as Donald Trump would say.

The big racquets are so deceptive to the viewer and particularly to those that know nothing about playing the "old school" equipment. If wooden racquets were in play some of those atrocious mishits would have been total whiffs. I was watching the two players separately…I watched this twice. It's amazing how often Djokovic is playing with his weight moving forwards and Nadal is either on the run and unable to use his weight or his footwork is just so mangled that he doesn't have the technique to produce more than an arm dominated spinny forehand. His backhand is very limited…as I wrote about a couple of years ago at Roland Garros…and Djokovic now has a tactic that totally disarms the former "great" Nadal from the very start of any given tennis match to the last point. This was a routing "ass kicking" any way that you slice it.

There was a lot of talk about Nadal being the G. O. A. T. and this nonsense can be laid to rest immediately. To look at him now is to realize what a one hit wonder he really is…and perhaps was. Federer was only losing to him on a routing basis on account of a combination of two things…his age and the equipment and the equipment was the real deciding factor with his age being the enabling factor. I cannot wait to see a match between the two of them with the equal equipment…so far Nadal has been ducking him by losing early before Federer can get his paws on him.

The tennis is pretty elementary stuff. Backcourt play and very little else. It's checkers as opposed to chess. One dimensional as opposed to multi-dimensional. If only we could read Jimbo's mind…I am pretty certain that this is exactly what he would be thinking.
        don_budge

Comment

Here are a few phrases in # 4 I really liked:

"It's stupid...really very stupid as Donald Trump would say"

"arm dominated spinny forehand"

"so far Nadal has been ducking him by losing early before Federer can get his paws on him"

Comment

Seriously though...

Originally posted by bottle View Post
            Here are a few phrases in # 4 I really liked:

"It's stupid...really very stupid as Donald Trump would say"

"arm dominated spinny forehand"

"so far Nadal has been ducking him by losing early before Federer can get his paws on him"
            How's this one…"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, poops on the board and then struts around like it won the game." -Vladimir Putin. I didn't make it up but ran across it on a news website that I read. Here…take a look. It's real news…not mainstream media propaganda.

I know…I know. Using Trump is some kind of unnatural sin…but the truth is the guy makes more sense than the puppets that are politicians. The guy can speak on his feet…without a teleprompter. He comes off as a pompous rich New Yorker…which he is. He was getting on my nerves a bit with that accent. But the more he keeps calling these yo-yo's in office "stupid" and other various descriptive phrases the more I like his chances. One thing is for sure…anyone is better than another Clinton or Bush.

Regards the "arm dominated spinny forehand" comment…I was so impressed by how many times Djokovic had Fafa so far off balance that this was all that he could muster. He never got his feet under him to get his body or his legs into the swing whereas Djokovic was totally dictating the play and he had his feet under him virtually every single time.

As far as "so far Nadal has been ducking him by losing early before Federer can get his paws on him"…I guess I just have to suck it up and take full responsibility for this provocative remark. I apologize if it offended anyone. But that doesn't change the fact that this is a match that I might pay to see. The change in Nadal is night and day and the question is…why?
            don_budge

Comment

Don't think for a minute I didn't mean what I said in all three cases. I know I've spoken out against Trump and no doubt will do so again, but it's really refreshing to hear somebody, anybody, call stupid people "stupid." He is a phenomenon whether he becomes president or not.

The thing about the arm is something I have to take seriously since I'm just now at 75 trying to learn how to subtract weight from a spinny forehand. Also, one time when all the courts were full in Winston-Salem, I started hitting the wall, and the guy next to me invited me to go with him to the other side of town to find a court. He was a 5.5 player, it turned out, and the best player including the pros in that huge Winston-Salem facility. Well, I have never tried to return so much topspin. He is the closest thing to Nadal in my own tennis experience. A pretty generous teacher, as it turned out, but I'm just trying to think of him as a player right now and somebody I wish I could have beaten. It's strange to think that pure physical strength-- and perhaps in the arm-- can buy someone so much spinny and giddy success. Of course these are the players who won't enjoy the longevity of excellence of Roger Federer or John McEnroe.

And your statement about Nadal now avoiding Federer by losing early is especially true because funny.

P.S. Amazing quote by Putin and an amazing website you presented, it would appear. I looked for where the quote was but there were too many articles for the time I have just at this minute. Yes, that is one quote that would never make its way through the filters so laboriously put up by the stupidest Americans.
              Last edited by bottle; 10-14-2015, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3351 users online. 7 members and 3344 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X