Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear stroke...

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    On a personal note, as other posters have been sharing some of late, I am watching more matches than usual. I am been laid up for a couple of weeks with an Achilles Tendon tear, had surgery on it yesterday, and am even now more laid up for the foreseeable future, long time coming in cast/boot to watch tennis.
    Being 57 years old does not really expedite things.
    Most sorry to hear this stroke. The lower leg is a most vulnerable area of the body as we get older. I have seen a number of these and lower calf muscle injuries. I had some achilles tendon strain last year myself. Doing lots of toe raises on the stairs since then. A rupture is serious…but with rehab you can come all of the way back.

Looking forwards to more of your comments and insights.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      Most sorry to hear this stroke. The lower leg is a most vulnerable area of the body as we get older. I have seen a number of these and lower calf muscle injuries. I had some achilles tendon strain last year myself. Doing lots of toe raises on the stairs since then. A rupture is serious…but with rehab you can come all of the way back.

Looking forwards to more of your comments and insights.
      Thanks, db

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        Anderson vs. Thiem was match of tournament so far. Guys battling for 2 hours 45 minutes for three tiebreaks. Shame someone had to lose it.

Federer Funhouse was on full display. Scary good form. No one is more exhilarating to watch than Federer on all cylinders.

Murray drubbed Goffin this morning. Just clobbered him. Sending a message for Davis Cup Finals next month.

Gasquet vs. Nishikori
        Djokovic vs. Simon
        Isner vs. Federer
        Tsonga vs. Berdych
        Anderson vs. Nadal
        Ferrer vs. Dimitrov
        Wawrinka vs. Troicki

Folks, this is just the 3rd round. Love these masters 1000 events.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        Copy that. I think this line is a good example of what the 3rd round looks like at these 1000's. I think there is an argument to be made that they are as tough to win as Majors. From the 3rd round on, they play every day vs this level of competition, 3 more matches to win the tournament after today. Mentally and physically very tough. Anderson had such a long, physical match vs Thiem, his road looks the worst right now.

Comment

As many of us have said, Federer in full flight looks like no one ever. He was in full flight vs Seppi.

On a personal note, as other posters have been sharing some of late, I am watching more matches than usual. I am been laid up for a couple of weeks with an Achilles Tendon tear, had surgery on it yesterday, and am even now more laid up for the foreseeable future, long time coming in cast/boot to watch tennis.
          Being 57 years old does not really expedite things.
          That's grim. I have never had a tendon tear so cannot off any words of wisdom here. One of my assistant coaches severed her tendon completely, which took a year to mend. It's generally quite a slow process to recover from tendon injuries I believe.

I had a car accident in 2007 where I broke a small bone in my wrist. I couldn't hit a ball for 8 weeks. That's when I bought a ball machine and employed the services of a hitter so I could stay in business.

This is why I don't play matches anymore. I have a family of four and cannot afford to be out of work if a I tear a tendon or cartilage. I loved playing matches so it was a shame to stop, but I don't want to take the risk.

The likelihood of getting injured or even incapacitated in some other way as we get older increases. It's one of the reasons I have started looking for other ways to make income in addition to what I do. This way if something goes wrong I have another way to make a living.

Hope all goes well and you can get back on court soon as soon as possible.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            That's grim. I have never had a tendon tear so cannot off any words of wisdom here. One of my assistant coaches severed her tendon completely, which took a year to mend. It's generally quite a slow process to recover from tendon injuries I believe.

I had a car accident in 2007 where I broke a small bone in my wrist. I couldn't hit a ball for 8 weeks. That's when I bought a ball machine and employed the services of a hitter so I could stay in business.

This is why I don't play matches anymore. I have a family of four and cannot afford to be out of work if a I tear a tendon or cartilage. I loved playing matches so it was a shame to stop, but I don't want to take the risk.

The likelihood of getting injured or even incapacitated in some other way as we get older increases. It's one of the reasons I have started looking for other ways to make income in addition to what I do. This way if something goes wrong I have another way to make a living.

Hope all goes well and you can get back on court soon as soon as possible.
            Thanks Stotty, I am not in the tennis industry by trade, and I do have short term and long term disability benefits from my employer. I did of course get my partially torn tendon from playing tennis. I know it is going to be a very long recovery, but what can you do? One day at a time.

Comment

jSorry to hear that stoke. How did it happen? Wish you a quick recovery...

Comment

Hey Phil, playing tennis. I did not have a single incident/pop on my Achilles. It was originally diagnosed as Achilles Tendonitis and just rest and rehab. A later MRI revealed the partial tear which needed surgery in order to have a good chance of a full recovery.

Comment

What a win for Isner. Fed appeared to be in control of the match except for the 2 tiebreak sets won by Isner. All credit to Isner. Fed played very well.

Comment

Credit to Isner. He won two tie-breaks.
                    Federer called for trainer earlier in match. He will get over this loss quickly. Win over Nadal in Basel will help that. Now he has more time to prepare for London.

6 P's
                    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

I cannot imagine Roger is too bothered. It's a tournament that has never sat well with him, one of the few.

Paris is a dead tournament if the top eight players have qualified for the ATP finals before it starts. It kind of kills it.
                      Stotty

Comment

Berdych into quarters. Comprehensive victory over crowd favorite Tsonga. Gonna need all of our support tomorrow vs. Djokovic.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Quarterfinal Friday

Wawrinka-Nadal
                          Gasquet-Murray
                          Ferrer-Isner
                          Djokovic-Berdych

Berdych also only player left in both Singles and Doubles Draws.
                          Duel Threat.

Nadal escaped match point against Anderson.
                          Murray dominant.
                          Ferrer being his steady unrelenting self
                          Gasquet playing some consistent and, dare I say? Mentally tough tennis
                          Djokovic not at his best yet. let's hope he stays off his game for tomorrow as well.
                          Isner goes three with Fed. Beats him in two breakers. Ferrer will try to chop down the big tree.
                          Wawrinka quietly lurking. Unleashing the backhand down the line against Nadal will be key.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Hey Phil, playing tennis. I did not have a single incident/pop on my Achilles. It was originally diagnosed as Achilles Tendonitis and just rest and rehab. A later MRI revealed the partial tear which needed surgery in order to have a good chance of a full recovery.
                            Do you play on hard courts? I play on clay courts which are a lot less stressful...

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              I cannot imagine Roger is too bothered. It's a tournament that has never sat well with him, one of the few.

Paris is a dead tournament if the top eight players have qualified for the ATP finals before it starts. It kind of kills it.
                              Unfortunately for this tournament, you are right. It really only has 2 things going for it, it is a Masters 1000 tournament and it sometimes plays a part in who makes the World Finals. Roger at this point is probably only really concerned about Grand Slam losses, not including the French Open. Even Roger, who deals with losses better than any, probably does not expect to win the FO again.

Comment

Is it me or is Djokovic playing more carefully than he used to? He's had a great season but he seems to be getting more and more conservative. Anyone else noticed this?
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8189 users online. 4 members and 8185 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X