Who are the strongest servers to study under 6 feet tall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the strongest servers to study under 6 feet tall

I admire, enjoy watching, and trying to emulate the top servers. However, being that I'm 5 feet 10.5 inches and only 175lbs, I was hoping to get some guidance as to players you would recommend studying, who are under 6 feet. Thank you!

TennisHacker36

Benjamin Becker is 5'10". Can pop that serve in the 130's. Probably the smoothest motion as well.

Kohlschreiber has a pretty good serve but looks awkward and segmented

Hewitt had a pretty good one.

Aleksandr Dolgopolov has a big serve but with a very quick motion.

Nicolas Almagro has some great pop on his serve. He's listed as 6ft tall, but having stood next to him at an event, I'm confident that height is a bit generous. Although Almagro has a "golden shoulder" so unless you possess the same genetic gift from god you may want to proceed with caution but it's still a very nice motion.

Hope some of those names help.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Benjamin Becker is 5'10". Can pop that serve in the 130's. Probably the smoothest motion as well.

Kohlschreiber has a pretty good serve but looks awkward and segmented

Hewitt had a pretty good one.

Aleksandr Dolgopolov has a big serve but with a very quick motion.

Nicolas Almagro has some great pop on his serve. He's listed as 6ft tall, but having stood next to him at an event, I'm confident that height is a bit generous. Although Almagro has a "golden shoulder" so unless you possess the same genetic gift from god you may want to proceed with caution but it's still a very nice motion.

Hope some of those names help.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Damn! Talk about a thorough response! I checked out Kholschreiber and was impressed with not only his serve, but also the completeness and variety to his game. Too many top pros in the 20 - 50 range are under appreciated in my opinion. I'll give your other suggestions some study. Thank you.

TennisHacker36

Comment

Agree so much with Almagro. He does not even use his legs that much. Massive chest stretch and whip on top. I would add Wawrinka. I really don't think he is a bit over 6 feet, probably just under.

Comment

I was going to add Wawrinka to the list. He's a legit 6ft. But as a "your strokes" article that John did a while back on Arthur Gosnell, Wawrinka's serve is great...for him. Due to the contact point being a bit further behind than most.

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...gosnell_serve/

Having seen Wawrinka practice here in Boca during a warm spring, shirt off, he is incredibly thick and strong in the upper body. He can manage it. Not sure if he's the best model.

Tommy Robredo is another player that comes to mind. Very nice serve motion and rhythm.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

sebastien grosjean is one of my favorite small guy serves

Comment

This is all very well but I am not sure one's height should be a barrier to emulate even better servers than those mentioned, like Federer for example. Federer is a great model whatever your height. Or why not Pancho Gonzales or Michael Stich?

At the end of the day I am not sure your height should be a factor for choosing which service motion to emulate.
              Stotty

Comment

inspirational factors only...

Comment

Great call on Grosjean!

He's down here in Boca Raton with me. Can't believe I forgot about him. Hell of a tennis player. Oh, and a great soccer player as well. Crazy fast. His acceleration is legitimately mind blowing. Still hits a solid ball as well.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

I agree with Stotty about technical models and height. Look at the hand and arm rotation on Isner! If you can even come remotely close to that you will have a great serve whether 5'10" or 6' 10".

Comment

Agree. Technical checkpoints and models transcend height. Great motions and serves span the scale. Isner is a great model for anyone, as is Benjamin Becker.
                      Maybe I interpreted tennishacker's post as an inspirational model. As for technical models, there are no extra "tricks" these players do to give themselves extra oomph on the serve. Great technique (which everyone can understand and try to learn) and fair bit of talent (which is not accessible to everyone)

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2510 users online. 8 members and 2502 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X