A New Teaching System: Forehand: Technical Characteristics: Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Teaching System: Forehand: Technical Characteristics: Part 2

Would love to discuss my latest, "A New Teaching System: Forehand: Technical Characteristics: Part 2"

What's happening with the audio in the wrist section? Very different and not in a good way.

Comment

Apparently I recorded that segment under water in the hot tub. Try now!

Comment

Very complete. But what about posture? what about head position? What are the next steps? Where did you get that stuff "research" about the wrist?

Comment

Captain!

Good questions.

The upright posture Dan McCain discusses in his articles is key and I do plan to address it. The players sometimes go out of balance at the start of motion to the ball. Going to address that in detail.

As for the head...Contrary to what is assumed the head only get's sideways a fraction of a second before the hit--and does tend to stay that way for a slightly longer fraction after the hit--see the Fed animation in Scott's article. Plan to devote an entire segment in the series to that one...

Comment

Thanks for the audio fix.

Comment

No problemo and thanks for noticing.

Comment

Examples of non-windshield wiper forehand models?

Great video, as usual.

Question: Are there any videos in the archives of Federer doing a non-windshield wiper forehand?

thanks

Comment

Plenty of higher finishes in there... http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...evelFront5.mov
                  Stotty

Comment

Well, that was a solid summary. It's interesting, the way this video fits in with "Your forehand and the Modern Forehand" and "Building the Modern Forehand." This new video left me with the feeling that it would serve as a good warm-up or intro to the detail-laden articles in "Building the Modern Forehand." From experience I can say it's easy to get lost in obsession with a detail. Effective overviews are valuable.

At the moment I'm into what's happening in the very instant before contact, the transition, turning the wiper on, if you will. I'll stay tuned.

Comment

In the link, aren't those windshield wiper finishes, with the racquet head finishing pointing to the left? I was looking for the finish with the racquet more on edge that John Yandell advocates for club level players, the idea being to get better extension.

Comment

Originally posted by pvchen View Post
                        In the link, aren't those windshield wiper finishes, with the racquet head finishing pointing to the left? I was looking for the finish with the racquet more on edge that John Yandell advocates for club level players, the idea being to get better extension.
                        I think most pro's tend to have what one TP author called a box type finish. Some can finish almost at waist level, others much higher; it's situational...but most are wipers. Djokovic at times finishes way over the shoulder, which is unusual considering his grip. As for the racket finishing more on edge, you don't see too many of those in the pro game these days. I know John highlights Sampras, but I cannot think of anyone who consistently finishes like that these days...not in matches at least.

How about this for the a simple and straightforward forehand finish...a simple and straightforward shot from start to finish, actually.

Last edited by stotty; 12-15-2015, 03:11 PM.
                        Stotty

Comment

pv,

Those finishes almost don't exist in pro tennis! Look at the current grips article though and you'll see some examples. As the series develops we'll look at how the finishes are in part a function of grip and a part a function of choice. We'll define the options. It's going to be fun.

Comment

Sounds good, John. Looking forward to it. I'm hoping you will have suggested models for different grips. I usually use a 3-3.

Stotty, thanks for linking the Jimmy Connors forehand. That's another forehand that would be 'good enough for me.'

Interesting how long his racquet face stays open. What do you think about that? Is it related to hitting a very flat forehand?

Comment

Originally posted by pvchen View Post
                              Sounds good, John. Looking forward to it. I'm hoping you will have suggested models for different grips. I usually use a 3-3.

Stotty, thanks for linking the Jimmy Connors forehand. That's another forehand that would be 'good enough for me.'

Interesting how long his racquet face stays open. What do you think about that? Is it related to hitting a very flat forehand?
                              Connors' racket stays on edge until the contact and then racket face starts to open a little as he follows through. This the exact opposite of the modern forehand where the racket face closes as the player follows through. And, yes, Connors forehand was very flat, certainly the times when I saw it.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3401 users online. 4 members and 3397 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X