Teaching with the Eye Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching with the Eye Coach

Let's discuss Scott Murphy's "Teaching with the Eye Coach"!

Not so sure about these type of teaching aids. Like Pat Dougherty's Ab belt, and others. Might be wrong... don't know...

Comment

Eye Coach...

"—to build strokes, to improve footwork and spacing, and to create balance."

These are some really good points in the development of beginners. It's so difficult to get some beginners "off of the ground"…to "fly on their own" so to speak. Fundamental concepts like footwork and spacing creating balance…I sure like the sound of that. I can see Scott's points vividly.

Being the skeptic that I am…this product almost has me sold just by the presentation by Scott. I forwarded this to my partner who controls the purse strings of our little program here in Sweden. I am curious as to what his response will be.

One question for Scott…how long have you been in possession of the Eye Coach?
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

This article really ties in to another article by Scott in the Classic Lessons called "The Two Secrets of Timing". I think Scott is right on point. I loves how he talks about how Roger was made fun of in juniors for his unique head position and now folks are teaching it like they invented it. This eye coach is probably the real deal if Scott believes in it.

Comment

Just the last couple of times on the ball machine, I have been bending over just a bit to keep my eye on the travel line of the ball as it comes out of the racket on both the forehead and backhand. And it is hugely successful at controlling the ball coming out of the racket. Much better accuracy on both the forehand and backhand.

Look at Roger's video how he is just enough behind the ball so that his head stays still as the ball is coming out of the strings. The follow up videos show the player standing more upright and I would think this makes the plane of the racket travel more perpendicular to the travel of the ball. In Roger's video, his plane of racket travel is closer to the plane of the flight of the ball. Not by any means parallel, but much closer. Thus more control.

Comment

JS,

Agreed. Impossible to literally hit through the ball but approximately that target line is something Roger does so beautifully.

Comment

To All,

Scott is going to respond but has two problems--the virus that ko'd his computer, and his beloved cat Mackey who is in treatment for liver cancer...I knew I shouldn't have given him all that bourbon... but seriously he's a great cat and sure many of you can relate to how much that sucks.

In any case I have been bugging Scott to write more and maybe this will stimulate him. He was a D1 college baseball pitcher and I want him to write about the similarities in mixing serves and pitches--because everytime I played him I never had any certainty about his patterns...

Comment

We've been using the eye coach for a year now, couldn't agree more it's benefits for eyes on the ball and head still through contact, especially as a coach who believes these skills are amongst the most important a player needs to develop. The other thing the eye coach allows, is working on topspin, as the ball is able to spin forwards and backwards on this equipment.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your responses! I've had two iterations of the Eye Coach for approximately three years and it's rare the day I don't use it. I like to rehearse my ground strokes on it as part of a morning warm up and I use it a lot to demonstrate model particulars during lessons.
                  I had a new client today from New York who comes to San Francisco once a month for business and she said she was going to get the Eye Coach because it can be difficult to find court time which is also very expensive there. She envisioned setting it up in her apartment so she could continue practicing while actually hitting a ball.
                  To a degree I get the argument that you need to hit a moving ball but this isn't really that different from hitting a drop feed. There's a point in everyone's development where removing distracting elements helps cement components that will applied later.
                  Like Nick mentioned it's also really good with regard to understanding how to create topspin and really first and foremost is its ability to help you keep your head still. Like I said in the article, combining Eye Coach and fed ball hitting is a real positive.
                  Thanks again everyone... check one out if you haven't already...I think you'll like it.
                  Scott

Comment

Would this be good also to train at home those days you can't play tennis, Scott?

Also I assume this is mostly for beginners, right?
                    Last edited by gzhpcu; 11-14-2015, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Hi Phil,
                      Yes the Eye Coach is great for home practice. Anytime you have the urge to practice your strokes you've got a ball to hit and simultaneously you can work on keeping your head still. You can go back and forth from FH to BH and work on seamless grip changes.
                      I think players of all levels can benefit from this unit...
                      Take care,
                      Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott. Will consider buying one.

Comment

I tried ordering it from the Eye Coach site, but it keeps rejecting the order, saying there is a problem with my prepaid Mastercard, which is fully covered and I have been using elsewhere with no problem... (Conspiracy to not let me train at home? )

Tried later with a normal credit card - no luck....
                          Last edited by gzhpcu; 11-15-2015, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Did you try from oncourtoffcourt?

OnCourt OffCourt is the world's leading source for hundreds of creative training and fitness aids, educational materials, and quality court equipment for the tennis industry.

Those guys are friends of mine and if there is a prob we can sort it out for sure.

Comment

Joe Dinoffer. The guy is non-stop. Runs a great company. Lots of great teaching aides and supplies. My club orders stuff all the time from oncourt/offcourt. Gets my seal of approval.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9334 users online. 10 members and 9324 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X