• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locker Room Power: Statements

Let's get your thoughts on David Sammel's "Locker Room Power: Statements"

Sabr

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Let's get your thoughts on David Sammel's "Locker Room Power: Statements"
    SABR is a statement of intent. It does not matter whether you win or lose the point when you make a powerful statement. Tennis is the long game and the possibility of threat often sucks in the mistake. A player is getting sophisticated when he/she understands the power of making a statement with full intent which will pay dividends later in the match. Naturally it is wonderful if a statement of intent also leads to winning the point, kind of like a double whammy. Personally I think Roger Federer backs off a little when he plays against Novak, which might be correct and smart, given the defensive armoury Novak possesses, but I would love to see what happens if Roger was even more aggressive against Novak.

This is why the weapons that I talk about in the book are so important because it is generally with your weapons that you can make the greater statements. That mental game that goes on between two players is influenced by the aggression and intent with which a person delivers a certain shot or statement. A statement can be the intent with which you rundown balls, how you walk around the court or the way you react after a point is won or lost. Statements need to reflect your personality and therefore choose carefully.
    Last edited by davidsammel; 11-06-2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Statements...

The SABR is a powerful statement. It's also the only thing Roger has done which is disrespectful. There is an element of taking the Mickey about it. Sure, you can call it a tactic...but it borders on gamesmanship. Roger gets away with because of who he is, but try it at you local club and see what your peers think of it. It's legal but below the belt in my book.

I think the most powerful statement that can be made lies in an individual's character. The best examples of "shoulders back and self confidence" are Boris Becker, Lew Hoad, Eric Cantona and Diego Maradona. At their zenith they walked around like they owned the stadiums they played in. They had it from start to finish of their careers. One imagines it would have been intimidating to play against such people, people that are so confident in a full stadium, and on a big occasion.
      Last edited by stotty; 11-06-2015, 01:59 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

Every time you run down a ball, it makes a statement. Every time you approach and hit a clean volley winner or force an opponent into an error it makes a statement.

Sampras would take 15-20% longer on break points to make you think about returning his serve and significance of the moment.

Body language makes a statement. Becker a great example. One of my idols.

My first statement starts at beginning of match at coin/racquet flip. I get extra close to the net, practically leaning on top of it so my opponent feels even more of my presence and I look even bigger to them. Statement made.

After the net statement, I normally let my racquet do the rest of the talking.

Cool article! I've enjoyed this series quite a bit. Really good takeaways for players of all levels.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Powerful Statements

Taking the ball on the rise, serving and volleying, SABR tactics are all examples of powerful statements that take time away from an opponent. They are not disrespectful nor are they examples of gamesmanship. Stalling, loud and prolonged grunting during points, trash talking are examples of gamesmanship. The skill demonstrated by Federer when he short hops a serve and glides to the net is not only inspiring but a real testament to the beauty of the game.

Norman Ashbrooke

Comment

Norman,

Totally agreed.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2743 users online. 15 members and 2728 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X