High Speed Archives Serve and Volley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Speed Archives Serve and Volley

What do you guys think of these classic sequences?

I love it! But I'm a bit bias.

Anyone else see that Philippoussis swinging forehand volley? Wow.
    Great to see clips of Wayne Arthurs. Highly overlooked but did some nice damage at Wimbledon. Wonderful clips.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Again, how many players could be doing at least some of this? At the club level how many players???? I don't know the real answer but it's more than currently...

Love that swinging volley! Did anyone at the time even notice the start of the trend? Not many people notice it yet!

Comment

Running through these clips is an incredible tennis lesson and bunch of lessons and special opportunity for people who don't have to play singles against Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic.

I would extend this idea to old persons: The late Eugene Scott, for one, had strong ideas on the growing need to be at the net or get there as soon as possible as the years pass.

Zi-zi, a young Detroit teaching pro no older than his twenties two weeks ago saw me hanging back and even though I was doing okay pointed out one of the many reasons for more net once again: "You won't get as tired." I've been on more winning teams ever since.
        Last edited by bottle; 11-13-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

That Philippoussis Swinging volley was awesome. Hits the high one with a pretty conservative grip from what I can see. He hit that back in 2001 at the Sybase Open (San Jose). He was playing the Spaniard Juan Balcells in their only career meeting. Balcells actually pulled the upset and defeated Philippoussis in a 3rd set tie-breaker. Agassi was #1 seed at that tourney and lost in finals to Serve and volleyer Greg Rusedski. Rusedski had a big upset of the #2 seed in that event Lleyton Hewitt in the quarterfinals.

This archive is a great tutorial for many players to see the nuances and skills that are needed.
          Good mix of righties and lefties as well as platform stances (Sampras, Dent) and Pinpoints.
          My only issue with it, No Richard Krajicek clips.

Inspiring for sure.

No doubt more should be and could be doing it. Especially at lower levels. It's amazing how many of my club members I've been able to persuade to do it and they have come back to me after they have "seen the light" and thanked me for it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

The things you notice...

Amazing when you watch these clips the things you can study and notice. I see quite a few of the players seem to have the heel of the hand hanging off the butt of the racket for forehand volleys. I can't do that. I must have the heel of my hand flush with the butt. Just feels so much more solid.

I notice, however, after Rusedski has served he shoves his hand a little higher up the grip to give him that more solid grip. While Goran, he serves and swivels his grip round to a mild forehand grip for his forehand volleys. I always wondered why his forehand volley was a little suspect.

I think Rusedski shows that even after a big serve like his, you can still have time to relocate the grip upwards to give you a sounder volley grip.

Sampras looks to have an awful lot of his hand off the butt of the racket. How he manages to hit firm volleys like that I just don't know.
            Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2508 users online. 8 members and 2500 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X