Question for tennis teachers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for tennis teachers....

We know an 80 year old lady, very fit (she used to do ballet), who surprised us a couple of months ago saying she wants to learn how to play tennis (!) and has started taking lessons. I find that great!

Now, I started watching her getting a lesson from a local pro. He has taught her a huge swing on the forehand and a double-handed backhand. He has her on the baseline and hits her balls gently. She manages to hit about 70 %, get about 30% over the net (including mishits).

Now, I don't want to butt in, but even though I am no tennis teacher myself, I would have thought you start with a beginner very close to the net with a short swing to get a feel for eye-hand coordination. After a number of lessons, when she has a feeling for the ball, move back progressively and progressively increase the scope of the swing.

He has evidently taught her the full swing from the start (and not correctly either - no unit turn, just a massive forehand backswing with a straight arm...)

His approach seems all wrong to me.

How would you begin teaching a fit 80 year old woman to play tennis?

Anomalies…Older gals and Pregnant women

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    We know an 80 year old lady, very fit (she used to do ballet), who surprised us a couple of months ago saying she wants to learn how to play tennis (!) and has started taking lessons. I find that great!

Now, I started watching her getting a lesson from a local pro. He has taught her a huge swing on the forehand and a double-handed backhand. He has her on the baseline and hits her balls gently. She manages to hit about 70 %, get about 30% over the net (including mishits).

Now, I don't want to butt in, but even though I am no tennis teacher myself, I would have thought you start with a beginner very close to the net with a short swing to get a feel for eye-hand coordination. After a number of lessons, when she has a feeling for the ball, move back progressively and progressively increase the scope of the swing.

He has evidently taught her the full swing from the start (and not correctly either - no unit turn, just a massive forehand backswing with a straight arm...)

I would start her at the net with volleys. Going along with your penchant for shorter swings in the beginning…it's my routine with most. Moving backwards into the mid court we lengthen the swing a bit for underspin mid length shots. At the baseline…I have had a lot of good results with the two hand forehand to compliment a two hand backhand in the beginning and then introducing one hand strokes letting the student choose for themselves. The two hands seems to naturally promote topspin.

I recently started giving lessons to a woman who is seven months pregnant. She decided that she wanted to start now. Some of the cues that I give when she steps into a volley is "don't wake the baby" encouraging her to step lightly. In the backcourt I say to her…"get the baby on the ball" to encourage her to not overturn too quickly. She's great in the group lessons…good looking gal who has a sense of humour. Pretty good ability too. The two hand forehand really has worked wonders for her forehand fundamentals.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Phil,

I think it's awesome this 80 year old wants to learn tennis. Better late than never.

First, what is her purpose for wanting to learn? does she want social games or just learn and understand technique and be able to rally against someone.

I am 100% in agreement with don_budge on this though. I'd have her start short, at net and then start moving her back and begin to increase the swing ever so slightly.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Last edited by klacr; 11-10-2015, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Eighty is pretty old but the lady's background in ballet might be more important (depending on her health, weight, number of replacements etc.). When I was a crew coach I was lucky enough to have a couple of dancers in my varsity women's boat. First thing they had going for them: balance. Second: flexibility. Third: strength. Fourth: an uncanny ability to take verbal instruction and translate it immediately into motor movement. Were quicker to assimilate visual instruction too. And then put their own spin on it of course. And for some reason were more uninhibited in celebrating a win. On the basis of this experience and others I think I would as coach during the recruitment process choose dancers over anybody else for any sport, especially tennis, hockey (can I get him to come back?) and professional football.
        Last edited by bottle; 11-10-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
          Eighty is pretty old but the lady's background in ballet might be more important (depending on her health, weight, number of replacements etc.).
          Very healthy, very slim, no replacements, walks 4-5 miles daily, very flexible. From the back you would think she was 50...

Comment

The Balls…and the Fine Lady

Very healthy, very slim, no replacements, walks 4-5 miles daily, very flexible. From the back you would think she was 50...
            I would be starting her with the slower balls of course as well.

Actually I don't think that eighty years is so old. That might sound old to those that have aged quicker. Afterall…what is a year? It is the time that it takes for the earth to go around the sun. Age has a lot of genetic influence on it. Some people don't seem to be counting or they have lost track of time or something. Everybody lives to be one…one lifetime. You are born and then you die. One might be 25% old and you wouldn't know it of course. One might be 99% old with death knocking on the door. Come in! Everyone says to me how quickly time seems to be flying…to me it seems to be dragging. It goes on and on and on. I must be a million years old by now.

I have heard it said that you are only as old as you feel. I have taken that phrase and reworked it a bit…I say that you are only as old as the woman you feel.

This gal is obviously still feeling it. The ballerina has glided through life. But the life of a ballerina is tough…so inside I suspect that this woman is made of something a bit more resilient than normal. Normal being the average shmoe who is content to wallow away the years on the couch eating chips, watching football and drinking beer.

She's got more balls than most of the men that I know at that age. On the other hand my own dear father plays "pickle ball" three times a week at the age of 87. He had a small stroke a couple of months ago and he is worried that he has lost some of the spring in his legs. I say go down swinging. Obviously she feels the same way as my father does. They might make a cute couple. Please convey my admiration to the lady. Why not intervene if this incompetent fool doesn't know what he is doing? Typical of "tennis pro's" these days…one style suits all. I can imagine that he is teaching her the ATP 3 or whatever the latest fad is. Trying to get her to "flip". Cookie cutter tennis.

This is a great example of how a teacher must be able to read the individual student. Every student is different. There are many ways to play tennis…including the prevalent style being played on the ATP tour these days. Perhaps an eighty year old having difficulty getting the ball over the net a majority of the time should be taught how to play underspin. Afterall…the ball tends to rise when you hit with underspin.

The lady sounds like quite a find. I would love to meet someone like that. Older people who continue to "live" life through the years have tons of life experience…it adds character. Hopefully.
            Last edited by don_budge; 11-11-2015, 02:34 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

She recently complained to her teacher that she thought she was not making progress fast enough... (No wonder with his style of teaching...)

She is taking a break during the winter season, because the bubbles on our court are damp and drafty. Will speak to her pro in spring.

She is also up-to-date: has an Ipad and surfs the internet. Started going to aqua gym classes with my wife (who is 55...).

She worked for big fashion houses in Paris, lived in Sao Paolo, New York, London and now Lugano. She has a lot of guts.

Comment

Make sure to show her these posts, especially Steve's. She sounds wonderful.
                As to Steve's remark about underspin: I play regularly with a guy who hits predominant underspin. Then he flattens out a little for more speed. His weapon though is twofold: speed about the court and the best lobs I've ever seen from anybody. This dude wins a lot more than he loses.

Comment

She recently complained to her teacher that she thought she was not making progress fast enough... (No wonder with his style of teaching...)

She is taking a break during the winter season, because the bubbles on our court are damp and drafty. Will speak to her pro in spring.

She is also up-to-date: has an Ipad and surfs the internet. Started going to aqua gym classes with my wife (who is 55...).

She worked for big fashion houses in Paris, lived in Sao Paolo, New York, London and now Lugano. She has a lot of guts.
                  Having been to Paris, Sao Paulo, New York, London and Lugano, I can say with great confidence...Lugano is the best place she has lived.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Steady on, old bean...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Having been to Paris, Sao Paulo, New York, London and Lugano, I can say with great confidence...Lugano is the best place she has lived.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Having been to all these places also, I would say London takes some beating...best city in the world.
                    Stotty

Comment

Time Traveling...

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                      Having been to all these places also, I would say London takes some beating...best city in the world.
                      …and as any well traveled person can tell you…much the same as a person ages…

It's not the miles…it's the terrain.
                      don_budge

Comment

With all said and described, I guess the picture(s) would say more than 1000 words. I am however, fully aware that filming someone without prior consent makes this impossible.

Teaching the strokes without unit turn however is somewhat of a no no, but then again, there are participators taking lessons that adapt quickly to what it works for them in terms of making successful ball contact. This is easier done on than forehand side than on the backhand, in my experience, but I would try to completely avoid this if possible.

It does not maximize the player's potential, and can lead to injuries in long term.

The only situation where this is (no unit turn) preferrable would be some problem with the back hindering the upper body rotation.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2620 users online. 3 members and 2617 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X