Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racquet Questions

To the Forum,

I got a few demo rackets recently (DR98, DR100, pure aero, pure control). I was just wondering if you have a few tips on how to play test and select the one I like best. It is hard to decide because I never know whether it is me or the racket, but currently I am leaning towards the dr98.

Thanks,
    Rohan

Hi Rohan,

The DR98 has gotten rave reviews. The DR100 is likely similar in many respects but definitely lighter and obviously a tad bigger in head size. Of the four racquets you mentioned I'd be inclined to go with the DR98. I wasn't that happy with the Pure Aero but haven't tried the Tour version and as I prefer 12 oz+ racquet weight that could change my mind. I haven't used it in a long time but I was always a big fan of the APD.

Ultimately the string and tension play a huge role in appreciating a racquet and often times with demos the string is past its prime or too tight or loose for your liking. If you're leaning towards a certain racquet but think it might feel better with a string and tension you prefer it's worth switching out the demo string. My experience with demoing is that most shops or online outfits don't really care as long as you tell them.

If you have arm concerns it's best to stay away from racquets with an RDA above 64 so the DR98 is perfect in that respect at 62...the Pure Aero is 69 but here again string and tension can lessen the stiffer feel.

Another big factor is the weight of the racquet. Unless a racquet is 12 oz or more I will always customize it to enhance its innate characteristics.However, sometimes adding weight will change the feel negatively. I'm playing with the Wilson Blade 98 16x19 and have added ALOT of weight and the racquet loves it but that's not always the case. If you like the weight out of the box then no worries in that department.

My experience with play testing a frame that's new to me is that I can usually tell within 15 minutes or so if I'll like it. Sometimes it's a day. If it felt great I'll play with it long enough to see if there are any arm repercussions. An example of late was trying out the Wilson Pro Staff RF Signature. I loved it until the following day when I had hand and wrist pain and went quickly back to my Blade 98 16x19 and all was well again.

If you prefer an arm friendly, plush feeling, control oriented racquet with power potential go with DR98.

Good luck,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottmurphy View Post
      Hi Rohan,

The DR98 has gotten rave reviews. The DR100 is likely similar in many respects but definitely lighter and obviously a tad bigger in head size. Of the four racquets you mentioned I'd be inclined to go with the DR98. I wasn't that happy with the Pure Aero but haven't tried the Tour version and as I prefer 12 oz+ racquet weight that could change my mind. I haven't used it in a long time but I was always a big fan of the APD.

Ultimately the string and tension play a huge role in appreciating a racquet and often times with demos the string is past its prime or too tight or loose for your liking. If you're leaning towards a certain racquet but think it might feel better with a string and tension you prefer it's worth switching out the demo string. My experience with demoing is that most shops or online outfits don't really care as long as you tell them.

If you have arm concerns it's best to stay away from racquets with an RDA above 64 so the DR98 is perfect in that respect at 62...the Pure Aero is 69 but here again string and tension can lessen the stiffer feel.

Another big factor is the weight of the racquet. Unless a racquet is 12 oz or more I will always customize it to enhance its innate characteristics.However, sometimes adding weight will change the feel negatively. I'm playing with the Wilson Blade 98 16x19 and have added ALOT of weight and the racquet loves it but that's not always the case. If you like the weight out of the box then no worries in that department.

My experience with play testing a frame that's new to me is that I can usually tell within 15 minutes or so if I'll like it. Sometimes it's a day. If it felt great I'll play with it long enough to see if there are any arm repercussions. An example of late was trying out the Wilson Pro Staff RF Signature. I loved it until the following day when I had hand and wrist pain and went quickly back to my Blade 98 16x19 and all was well again.

If you prefer an arm friendly, plush feeling, control oriented racquet with power potential go with DR98.

Good luck,

Scott
      Thank you, Scott, for your insight!

I think all the rackets except the dr100 have poly/multi hybrids. I think the dr100 has a full bed of multi. I usually string my apd with lux Alu power silver at 56/51. What tension do you recommend with the dr98 of i restring with alu?

As of yet I have never had any arm problems, so stiffness is not really the main factor. However, the feel and touch of the dr98 are amazing to me. It is light years ahead of my old apd in this regard.
      Honestly, I am trying to not go by specs and just seeing what feels and plays best. i know their weights but I don't really pay attention to them.

So far I have one main concern with the dr98. My forehand seems to be going much lower and usually as a consequence, shallower and sometimes into the net more. I feel like my stroke mechanics have to compensate some to fix this. when If I have been using the dr98 for a while and then hit with the apd, my balls really fly on me. So it shows how the launch angles are so different.
      Is this something to worry about, or will it just fix itself over the course of a few weeks?

One final thing: both the Drs seem to be slightly longer than 27 inches long at 69cm, but both the babolats are spot on. Is this a problem? I was expecting 27 inches for all of them...I even called tennis plaza where I got the demos from and they said they were getting he same measurements. Then I emailed their customer service team which said even if it was a little bit off it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again!
      Rohan
      Last edited by eaglesburg; 11-30-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Hi again Rohan,
        As to tension for the DR98 using Alu Power I'd go 52lbs. and if you wanted to drop the tension in the crosses I'd go 52/50. That's mid range for the recommended string tension and if you wanted to higher I'd do 54 or 54/52. Obviously you never know what will be the best tension long term but either of those should be a good starting point.
        There's a pretty fair power difference between the DR98 and the APD so as far as your forehands landing short I think that's just an adjustment you'll make as you play more with it. You'll have to supply a bit more power but I think that tradeoff is good when you consider the better feel and touch you're experiencing with the DR98. Good spacing, good timing and good extension on the FH will be paramount. I like the less powerful racquets because I feel like I can let loose by comparison.
        That's interesting about the extra length. There isn't too big a difference there and if you have a two handed backhand could be all the better. BUT, if it really bothers you over time you should find something else.
        Hope that helps!
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottmurphy View Post
          Hi again Rohan,
          As to tension for the DR98 using Alu Power I'd go 52lbs. and if you wanted to drop the tension in the crosses I'd go 52/50. That's mid range for the recommended string tension and if you wanted to higher I'd do 54 or 54/52. Obviously you never know what will be the best tension long term but either of those should be a good starting point.
          There's a pretty fair power difference between the DR98 and the APD so as far as your forehands landing short I think that's just an adjustment you'll make as you play more with it. You'll have to supply a bit more power but I think that tradeoff is good when you consider the better feel and touch you're experiencing with the DR98. Good spacing, good timing and good extension on the FH will be paramount. I like the less powerful racquets because I feel like I can let loose by comparison.
          That's interesting about the extra length. There isn't too big a difference there and if you have a two handed backhand could be all the better. BUT, if it really bothers you over time you should find something else.
          Hope that helps!
          Scott
          Thank you!

I'm not sure if the forehand thing is all about the rackets' power-I serve harder with the dr98 and I don't have any trouble with my backhand depth unlike my forehand. I'm really hoping that my forehand starts clicking because all my other strokes are going well.

To both Scott and John- do you think it might be a good idea to make my grip a little bit more eastern? This could both make my grip less extreme like you prefer and add penetration to my forehands while hopefully fixing my issue with the dr98. Or should I not mess with that just for the racket's sake?
          Last edited by eaglesburg; 11-30-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Rohan,
            It's somewhat baffling that all your other strokes are fine but I wouldn't change your grip for the racquet's sake. Hit a ton of FH's and set your sights higher and deeper. I can only imagine that it's a temporary problem...

Comment

I played again today with the dr98.

It makes serves feel oh so good - more power AND more control.
              My backhand feels good too.
              Touch and feel on slice and drop shots was again on point.
              The forehand was better, too. I am starting to get more depth and height on them, and I am loving the control this racket has. It has less power than the apd but I am ok with that. Just a mention, neither good nor bad: it flattens out my forehand a bit compared to the apd.

When I played later, it was pretty much the same story. My forehand is starting to feel better and better.
              Last edited by eaglesburg; 12-01-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Great to hear Rohan!

Comment

I played again today and my forehand was clicking from the get-go! I'm loving the racket! Bar any unexpected developments between now and Friday, I will probably be ordering this racket.

Comment

I'm having trouble finding a 4 1/4 dr 98 in stock at an authorized dealer. Any ideas of where to look?

Comment

You looked I assume at TW and TE? Midwest Sports? Holabird?

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                        You looked I assume at TW and TE? Midwest Sports? Holabird?
                        Yes....all are currently waiting for more stock in the 4 1/4 grip size.

Comment

Looks like you get to wait as well.

Comment

I ordered one through Amazon from Paragon Sports. I called yonex beforehand and they said it was ok.

I had a little trouble sometimes on Friday with the demo on the forehand. I don't think I will ever be able to hit them as hard as with the apd, but I'm hoping it will make up for those in other aspects and maybe it will force me to have better footwork and technique. We'll have to see, but I am still really looking forward to the racket arriving!

Comment

New rackets--always exciting!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2951 users online. 3 members and 2948 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X