Federer - Edberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer - Edberg

Headlines in Switzerland and elsewhere proclaim "Federer drops Edberg", whereas Edberg originally only wanted to be around for one year, 2014. He agreed to prolong it, 2015.

This was the plan, but now because Federer has a new coach, Lubijic, the press needs a sensational headline! Yuck!

Informative. And with good attitude. Thanks!

Comment

The split is a shame. Federer's greatest efforts have been under Edberg. True, he won nothing (of consequence...majors) during their partnership, but his career has been greatly extended I feel under Edberg's guidance...and he became even better to watch.
      Last edited by stotty; 12-09-2015, 02:39 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

Remember Tony Roche...

I think that Tony Roche was perhaps the most important influence on Federer during the course of his career. More importantly during the last two years it was the equipment change that brought Federer back from the precipice of being a has been to perhaps the most formidable player two out of three sets on a quicker than "normal" court.

Stefan Edberg played a supporting role…and a very good one. He supported Federer to return to his all court play which are his roots originally before the game was completely engineered out of proportion. The Federer roots are pre superslow hard courts, velcro grass courts, poly string and super super sized racquets. He's a classic in a "modern" world. He played serve and volley with the best of them. Edberg only enhanced the image of Federer…if that is possible.

Most interesting choice as Edberg's replacement. Ljubicic stock certainly went up from Raonic to Federer. What can he possibly bring to the table? For one thing Ivan may have some sound tactical advice on how to play the backhand.
        Last edited by don_budge; 12-10-2015, 12:03 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Edberg was Federer's coach merely as an inspirational figure. Edberg has bee out of the game and the ATP tour loop for sometime. Ivan Ljubicic has been off tour for just a few years and jumped right into coaching and has been in the thick of it. I think Ljubicic is a good hire as he can give Federer insights into the other players whereas Edberg could just kinda assume.

Of course, this is all well and good except for the fact that when Djokovic, Murray and the rest of the group are studying matches, looking at tapes, reviewing data analytics and match charting to gain competitive and tactical advantages and understanding, Federer refuses to look at this. He just wants to go out and hit the ball and play himself into the match. Will Federer listen to Ljubicic? Or will Federer do what Federer does and simply use his talent and shotmaking ability to find ways to win?

Also, You'd figure with Tony Roche and Stefan Edberg being your coaches at different stages of your career, you'd have an even better backhand volley.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Here's whom he should hire (http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...evelFront3.mov).

Comment

McEnroe and the Maestro

Originally posted by bottle View Post
              My thoughts exactly, but would Roger listen? I would like to be a fly on the wall inside the Federer camp to find that out. I am not sure the McEnroe and Federer egos could work together...maybe yes maybe no...something tells me they couldn't. Be fun to find out...

There have been times when you detect Roger has been convinced to play a certain way - by Edberg we assume - yet other times you feel he has reverted to type.

I have to say Tony Roche's backhand volley is right up there with the best of them, a real beauty. If Roger could volley like Edberg or Roche it would be goodnight Novak...or at least his chances would go right up.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                My thoughts exactly, but would Roger listen? I would like to be a fly on the wall inside the Federer camp to find that out. I am not sure the McEnroe and Federer egos could work together...maybe yes maybe no...something tells me they couldn't. Be fun to find out...

There have been times when you detect Roger has been convinced to play a certain way - by Edberg we assume - yet other times you feel he has reverted to type.

I have to say Tony Roche's backhand volley is right up there with the best of them, a real beauty. If Roger could volley like Edberg or Roche it would be goodnight Novak...or at least his chances would go right up.
                My thoughts as well! Good post.

The McEnroe mind may be useful to Federer. Not sure the ego and temperament would be what Federer camp would accept.

The backhand volley...lost art or hidden treasure?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3240 users online. 4 members and 3236 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X