Tennis shoes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis shoes....

How long does a pair of tennis shoes last, before you might hurt your feet? 6 months, playing 3 hours a week?

Not sure of the exact answer. I'm sure it varies with players and conditions. Here is a link to an article that may help

http://www.holabirdsports.com/blog/h...-tennis-shoes/

Good luck.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Thanks for the link Kyle. I started feeling heel pain about 2 weeks ago, and think it is plantar fasciitis. I googled a bit, and saw that when tennis shoes age, the cushioning looses elasticity and is hard on the heel.

Bought a new pair today and will see tomorrow. Have also been doing some stretching exercises with a tennis ball under the foot.

Comment

The tennis ball trick under the foot seems to work for many players for their heel and plantar fasciitis.
        I have foot issues as well, but it's because my feet are flat and size 16's. (European size 50 I believe) Multiple stress fractures in each foot growing up when I was a kid. Leaves me limping around like an old man when in my bare feet, but that's when my feet feel the best. Tennis shoes keep me walking like a fairly normal 33 year old man but it hurts. Unfortunately, most tennis shoes aren't made in size 16's. The cutoff is usually 15 due to size demographic of most players. I've tried basketball shoes since they always come in bigger sizes, unfortunately, they are too heavy and bulky. I squeeze into my Nike size 15's and cowboy up.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

more info needed...

morning - does it hurt when you get out of bed in the morning - usually a six month old shoe - unless you play many hours a day would not cause heel pain - unless you changed to a narrower heel, or the shoe shrunk in the rain or the shoe size is a little smaller - is there any warmth to touch after you play - when does it hurt - was the onset acute or gradual, insidious - is it on the heel - or under the heel on the inside or outside...
          steven b

Comment

Originally posted by stevenmila View Post
            morning - does it hurt when you get out of bed in the morning - usually a six month old shoe - unless you play many hours a day would not cause heel pain - unless you changed to a narrower heel, or the shoe shrunk in the rain or the shoe size is a little smaller - is there any warmth to touch after you play - when does it hurt - was the onset acute or gradual, insidious - is it on the heel - or under the heel on the inside or outside...
            steven b
            The onset was gradual, but really got painful once I got home after playing and all of the next day. The pain is a bit under the heel, but especially on the sides of the lower heel when I pinch it. Very delicate to the touch. Hurts when walking and bending heel.

I bought a new pair today (switched from Nike to Wilson, which has a slightly broader heel), massaged my foot with a tennis ball several times yesterday and today, played today, and the pain is gone.

Comment

glad to hear that - when using a tennis ball i would avoid the area of pain directly - and work around it - focusing on achilles, gastroc. muscle, and the soul of the foot, just not that area of point tenderenss - also if it hurts after tennis - ice it lots- and do a good bit of active stretching to hip, knee and ankle before you play - as opposed to static.
              steven

Comment

Thanks steven...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2941 users online. 5 members and 2936 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X