Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pancho Gonzales...

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Looking at those Wikipedia results from his long and illustrious career it is no wonder to me…that to me his is the greatest tennis player of all time.
    You could well be right....
    Stotty

Comment

He was certainly the fiercest competitor of all time... His will to win carried him on well beyond his prime..

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        Looking at those Wikipedia results from his long and illustrious career it is no wonder to me…that to me his is the greatest tennis player of all time.
        Hey, the first time we agree on something!

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          He was certainly the fiercest competitor of all time... His will to win carried him on well beyond his prime..

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          Hey, the first time we agree on something!
          Gonzales was number one in the world for eight straight years. I believe this is still a record.

Beating Newcombe, Rosewall and Ashe in his 40s when the aforementioned were at their pomp says it all to me. I think it's the most remarkable achievement in tennis. He must have been an incredible match player.
          Stotty

Comment

And he did it with no entourage, no coach, no physical trainer, no manager, just pure fighting spirit and natural born talent.

When he was playing pro tournaments, he would not travel with the rest of the group - he would travel alone - did not want to get close to anyone, to keep his fighting spirit intact. Laver, Rosewall and the rest called him "one mean son of a bitch"...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8680 users online. 7 members and 8673 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X