The 1-2 Rhythm: The Backhand Slice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1-2 Rhythm: The Backhand Slice

Let's get your thoughts on Nick Wheatley's article, "The 1-2 Rhythm: The Backhand Slice"

I like it. That subtle difference in the torso rotation and the focus on the arm and extending are a good way to go between topspin and underspin. Tried it this morning.

Comment

Great article is only fitting for such a beautiful and effective shot like the slice. A lost art. Highly effective at the club level. The 1-2 rhythm is highly useful when hitting this shot, my students seem to have an easier time understanding and duplicating it on the slice than on any other shot.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

A good article...

A good article, not least because it makes the distinction between tour players and the rest of us, which is vital. A less extreme version of the 1-2 sliced backhand is doubtless the prescription for most of us.

For the most part I teach players to "stroke" their sliced backhands. I continue to advocate "stroking" until I sense a student has the potential to start knifing the ball.

McEnroe's sliced backhand is one of my favourites. Sometimes he wraps a fair bit, sometimes hardly at all, sometimes his backswing is quite high, sometimes it's much lower, sometimes he chips them, sometimes he strokes them, other times he knifes them. It's a sliced backhand full of nuances. It's a sliced backhand full of the most subtle skills imaginable.... bottle must have a field day watching it in the Tenniplayer archives.
        Stotty

Comment

Yup and then trying to take those variations out on the court. Difficult but maybe not as difficult as people are apt to think. The bad thing about them-- for a doubles player like me-- is that they substitute for needed practice of coming over the ball (since all strokes through negligence are subject to growing disrepair leading to despair).

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 6470 users online. 2 members and 6468 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X