Federer has surgery for torn meniscus--out at least a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer has surgery for torn meniscus--out at least a month

Horrible news. I hate to say it but I think this is probably the beginning of the end. I had always hoped it would not be because of a serious injuiry.

Let's not panic. His doctor said the operation went perfectly. Look at Nadal's history of injuries. I am sure Roger will be back in form for Wimbledon...

Comment

Nadal never tore his meniscus and his knee issues were in his early and mid twenties. And did he ever have surgery?

Comment

Knee issues? Or was it something else...

Originally posted by bman View Post
        Nadal never tore his meniscus and his knee issues were in his early and mid twenties. And did he ever have surgery?
        We will never know what was really ailing this guy or if he needed some degree of separation from the tour for other nefarious or otherwise innocent reasons. I never detected any evidence in his movement or approach to the game that he was suffering from anything other than an overdose of gamesmanship.

Federer will use this to make lemonade out of lemons (Dale Carnegie style). He will use this time to recharge his batteries for one more "serious" run at the summer Slams. He will have the best medical attention in the world. Perhaps they go in there and make him a Bionic Man…if he isn't that already. His injury free play over the years is one of the most amazing aspects of the man and the legend.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          We will never know what was really ailing this guy or if he needed some degree of separation from the tour for other nefarious or otherwise innocent reasons. I never detected any evidence in his movement or approach to the game that he was suffering from anything other than an overdose of gamesmanship.

Federer will use this to make lemonade out of lemons (Dale Carnegie style). He will use this time to recharge his batteries for one more "serious" run at the summer Slams. He will have the best medical attention in the world. Perhaps they go in there and make him a Bionic Man…if he isn't that already. His injury free play over the years is one of the most amazing aspects of the man and the legend.
          The only thing I fear is that finds the time off with his lovely family to nice and desires more time with them. However, my money is on him bouncing back very quick.

Comment

Roger will be just fine. Hard to believe it was a meniscus. Think something else may be going on. He'll be back though.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Hmmm...what are you suggesting there Klacr?

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
                Hmmm...what are you suggesting there Klacr?
                I just think it's all a little fishy. Federer may have injured it during match with Djokovic, didn't wanna take away from Djokovic injury and didn't wanna give Djokovic benefit of knowing he 'wounded' the great and invincible Federer. Claiming he tore it day after Aussie Open. Doing what???

Federer is at home, either e-evaluating his strategy on how to combat Djokovic or he is taking a good hard look at himself in mirror and asking if he satisfied with playing out his career without having a chance to regain #1 ranking and playing as the #2, 3, 4 ranked player in the world. Interesting crossroads in Fed's career. All a ploy to get some to overlook Fed and claim that the king is dead or mortally wounded, or a chance for Federer to make one final push at Wimbledon to reclaim what is rightfully his, the Wimbledon championship trophy. He is schedule to be back at Indian wells, But I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped that, miami and maybe even most of clay season, claiming further recuperation and rehab. Giving all top players a chance to forget about his game, until he strikes back in a big way. Tennis players have short term memory, not just for points, but also for fellow players. Federer will be lurking and looking to strike.

“I can understand perfectly how the report of my illness got about, I have even heard on good authority that I was dead. James Ross Clemens, a cousin of mine, was seriously ill two or three weeks ago in London, but is well now. The report of my illness grew out of his illness.
                The report of my death was an exaggeration." -Mark Twain

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

the fed knee

i highly doubt they repaired his meniscus tear- they just cleaned it up - and its hardly surprising for a guy his age to have wear and tear to his knees - with nadal - he had more of a patella tendonitis, which was most likely due to all that excessive quad muscle building - at least these days he is looking more slimmed down...i think the injuries just help prepare us for the inevitable demise.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    I don't thing meniscus surgery is so serious these days.It's amazing how far knee surgery has evolved in the last forty years.
                    You're right on both counts. It's minor these days....and done by keyhole surgery. Twenty five years ago they would have cut the knee wide open and that would have likely been the end of Roger's career. Amazing how things have moved on...how lucky athletes are...and us.
                    Stotty

Comment

The Smell of Fish...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                      I just think it's all a little fishy. Claiming he tore it day after Aussie Open. Doing what???

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Or something is rotten in Denmark. It does sound a bit fishy. Perhaps they are installing some bionic parts in an attempt to rejuvenate the legs. Injections? Something we lessers are unaware of?

It doesn't add up. The official story is more than likely a ruse. No surprise here.
                      don_budge

Comment

This is what Federer has to say:

https://twitter.com/rogerfederer?ref...rp|twgr^author

Comment

Nothing...

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                          Blank page.
                          don_budge

Comment

Try Google "twitter Roger Federer"...

Comment

Growing concerns for Roger and the game itself...

Concerns are growing here and there about Roger's knee surgery and that his absence could easily extend to two or three months. The concern is mostly box office rather than Roger's health. Roger is apparently worth a fortune to any event he enters.

Viewers switch on in far fewer numbers for players outside the big three. The TV audience for the Cilic v Nishikori US Open final was weeny compared to the 2015 final featuring Djokovic and Federer. With the top three having dominated for over the last ten years, it's left all the other players with little to no stock value. Murray alone is also considered low stock but bankable when he plays one of the top three.

Worrying, isn't it? I have being saying there could be trouble ahead for a long time. It's healthy that top players are usurped while they are still great so the game maintains ongoing credibility. At this rate the top three will exit on their own terms, undeposed. Tennis fans will be left lamenting...

The game could be in for an almighty slump a few years down the line. Am I being too pessimistic or does anyone else have my concerns?

Would you switch on for a Kyrgios v Raonic Wimbledon final?
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2612 users online. 10 members and 2602 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X