Djokovic Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Djokovic Serve

How man times have we been subjected to the comments of the broadcasters germane to novak's serve?

I can't remember the countless times they have presented the fact he changed his serving motion . Never , ever have I heard anyone articulate what those adjustments were . Well , thanks to your most recent slow motion video of his serve have I finally understood how he modified his serve.

I watched his service motion from your original video of his motion and the changes are amazing. His original motion was very similar to Roger's and Michael Stitch's How ? His right arm followed a complete arc as they do with his arm and racquet parallel to his shoulder and as a result the elbow bend occurs very late in their swings unlike Pete's.

His original left arm tossing motion also paralleled that of Stitch's and Roger's . Their right arm paths covered a lot of surface area. Their arms are very close to approaching parallel to the baseline and are moving from right to left.

His present motion is total different . His racquet path permits his elbow to bend much earlier like Pet'e's. His racquet is no longer on the same plane as his shoulder and arm. The final major adjustment is his toss . His left arm no longer covers much surface area .

His Toss movement is very similar to Tanner's. Tanner's arm never became perpendicular to the court like most players today. His arm was about 45degrees to the court . Novak's new motion is much simpler with a way to deliver the ball into the hitting motion with great consistency . Maria should emulate his motion . What do you think ?

Funny, I looked at the Australian open final against Murray on YouTube, and his left arm goes way up and back... not at all like Tanner's... Look here for yourself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky_bYuD2gMQ

Comment

Thanks is what I think.

Comment

Roscoe Tanner's serve....

Stotty

Comment

Comment

service motion

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
            Funny, I looked at the Australian open final against Murray on YouTube, and his left arm goes way up and back... not at all like Tanner's... Look here for yourself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky_bYuD2gMQ

Hi Phil, If you analyze the tossing motion of the players the last 20 to 25 years there exists great commonality in theit tossing motions. Their tossing arms cover a plethora of surface area. Their arms come very close to touching their leg as they bring the ball back and then move close to parallel to the baseline and then after the release their arms are over their tossing shoulders or close it . It is a very complicated motion for mere mortals to integrate into their motion. It is amazing how precise most of the players are

Comment

aservice motion

Originally posted by leonmelideotennisfanatic View Post
              Hi Phil, If you analyze the tossing motion of the players the last 20 to 25 years there exists great commonality in theit tossing motions. Their tossing arms cover a plethora of surface area. Their arms come very close to touching their leg as they bring the ball back and then move close to parallel to the baseline and then after the release their arms are over their tossing shoulders or close it . It is a very complicated motion for mere mortals to integrate into their motion. It is amazing how precise most of the players are
              Novak has eliminated some of the extraneous movement. You can see by watching his matches his serve is a major weapon when he is confronted by crises situations. He can deliver his ball to the same spot every time. Did you look at Tanner's serve? It is amazing how his tossing arm extends out into the court and never is close to being perpendicular to the court. His ball will never drift back. He has a very simple tossing motion now ,especially when compared to most of the players with the big tossing arm arcs

Comment

Agree, but remember Roscoe had a fast, concerted motion, often hitting the ball on the rise. No lag. So no time for tossing arm to go up.

Something in between is Gustavo Kuerten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCiIqOf06dg

Throws ball forward like Roscoe, but has a higher ball toss, and less fast a swing motion.

Agree that the loop toss is tough...

OK, looking at Novak again, I see what you mean. His tossing arm moves more straight ahead rather than in a looping action. I was initially confused because I thought you meant his left arm did not go way up. So, I see it more like Gustavo's...
                Last edited by gzhpcu; 02-10-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Rotary toss

Neither Tanner nor Djokovic has a full rotary toss (brit. term)...neither did Henman and quite a few others. Sampras had the full rotary....and a bit more. Pancho Gonzales' rotary toss was perfect.
                  Last edited by stotty; 02-10-2016, 02:07 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Rotary Toss love that!

Comment

Love It!
                      Great serve.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

A Change in Either Direction Available to Anyone

The reason I like # 1, your original post, leonmelideotennisfanatic, is not so much the discussion of toss intricacy it was about to generate, but rather the overall change in Djokovic's serve that it explained-- in terms that could have relevance to the serving choices available to any player of any level and stripe.

Of course, as certain television commentatoes have averred-- more often dismissive than not-- players may tinker when they are insecure.

Me, I think they tinker when they tinker as Djokovic did here and it had nothing to do with insecurity, those dweebs.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                          Love It!
                          Great serve.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          I saw him playing a match once in Wimbledon in the mid-70's on one of the outer courts, where you could watch from the railing. Impressive! Still never saw anything like it...

Comment

I saw him playing a match once in Wimbledon in the mid-70's on one of the outer courts, where you could watch from the railing. Impressive! Still never saw anything like it...
                            Did the very same thing myself...1977...wonder if we were watching the same match.
                            Stotty

Comment

Could be... Just don't remember who he was playing. Only remember he won...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2339 users online. 1 members and 2338 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X