ATP…Rio de Janeiro ATP 500, Marseille ATP 250, Del Ray 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zverev

I watched the 18 year old Alexander Zverev play yesterday. He beat an injured Benneteau in two straight. I only saw the last five games but if Zverev can work on his movement, which isn't great, he might be a decent player. His backhand is good. Worryingly, though, he opted for backhands when he should have hit forehands, which tells me his forehand might be suspect. He may have Benoit Paire syndrome.
    Stotty

Comment

Dimitrov's play last night against Dzumhur was uninspiring at best. But he's into the quarters of Delray. Del Potro plays tonight against Aussie serve+volleyer John Patrick Smith. I'll be a guest in Smith's player's box tonight. Should be interesting. Del Potro fans/latin americans will be making up 99% of the audience tonight. They are a vocal and passionate bunch.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Interesting…yawn...

Rio de Janeiro…Rafael Nadal vs. Niclas Almegro. Can Almegro add his name to a growing list of players to upset Nadal?

Marseille…The most interesting thing at this point is a possible rematch of Richard Gasquet and Nick Kyrgios. If Kyrgios wins and Wawrinka continues to win…a final between these two might produce a little heat under the collar.

Del Ray Beach…It's all about Juan Martin Del Potro.

oops…forgot about Thomas Berdych for you know who.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          Rio de Janeiro…Rafael Nadal vs. Niclas Almegro. Can Almegro add his name to a growing list of players to upset Nadal?

Marseille…The most interesting thing at this point is a possible rematch of Richard Gasquet and Nick Kyrgios. If Kyrgios wins and Wawrinka continues to win…a final between these two might produce a little heat under the collar.

Del Ray Beach…It's all about Juan Martin Del Potro.

oops…forgot about Thomas Berdych for you know who.

Berdych enjoying Marseille. Takes on young German Zverev. All good.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Will be sitting on court for Dimitrov-Mannarino and Ram-Becker. Look for the big guy in red shirt, black cap.
            Friends with coaches in the Mannarino camp. Rajeev Ram with some serve & volley today. Should be good.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Do you Copy?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Will be sitting on court for Dimitrov-Mannarino and Ram-Becker. Look for the big guy in red shirt, black cap.
              Friends with coaches in the Mannarino camp. Rajeev Ram with some serve & volley today. Should be good.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Hello there Kyle…I've got the match on and are you directly across the court from the umpire's chair?
              don_budge

Comment

Yup.That was me.
                Got some great views of Dimitrov-Forehand superb, backhand erratic and lacking real penetration a la Wawrinka (continental grip not helpful, way too many misses on neutral balls) Serve was big, when he got it in, but struggled with rhythm.

Also got to see Rajeev Ram fight hard against Benjamin Becker. Ram showcased some serve & volley action to good effect. Over course of match, Becker's passing shots started to lose their quality as Ram's net presence started to wear Becker's nerves. With that said, none of the 4 singles players I was on court for today seemed to exhibit or possess comfortable volleying skills, but the ones that were willing to go there more often now find themselves in the semis.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Impressive win by Thiem over Ferrer! Looks like perhaps a new star really is born. First Nadal on clay, then he gives Ferrer one of his biggest beatings in 72 minutes. Great game too. Great kick serve, massive forehand, beautiful backhand. Hope he keeps it up!

Kyrgios also looked good defeating Gasquet. Hit 4 aces in a row in the last set.

Del Potro really playing well too. Only 14 matches in two years. Good win.
                  Last edited by gzhpcu; 02-19-2016, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Saw Kyle on court with his red shirt. Texted him and even got him to wave at the end of the Ram game... That was something!

Comment

Dominic Thiem versus David Ferrer

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                      Impressive win by Thiem over Ferrer!
                      Impressive…I wish Ferrer would stop with the disgusting grunting.

don_budge

Comment

Juan Marin Del Potro…the one-handed backhand

Not so long ago I posed the question…why doesn't Del Potro switch to a one handed backhand since he is having wrist problems in the left wrist that has kept him inactive for the better part of two years?

Here is the "new" Del Potro. He looks as if he has reinvented himself. He uses more one hand slice backhands than he does the two handed. He plays more thoughtful tennis…very effectively. It may be interesting to see how he further evolves.

I could envision a crushing drive backhand with serve and volley. He has nice touch with the slice. An interesting development.
                        don_budge

Comment

Dominic Thiem is impressive. Still young so will only be getting better. An Austrian who is dominating on clay...What is this, the mid 90's? Ode to Muster.

Berdych cruised vs. Goffin. Must face Kyrgios next. The way Kyrgios dismantled Gasket was something.

Del Potro in full effect. He is using the slice backhand quite often, but that is not his true intention after an interview with atp tour in Delray Beach earlier this week. He wants to drive with the two hands a bit more but lacks the confidence at this point to do so.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Why not?

Del Potro in full effect. He is using the slice backhand quite often, but that is not his true intention after an interview with atp tour in Delray Beach earlier this week. He wants to drive with the two hands a bit more but lacks the confidence at this point to do so.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            Question…why doesn't he learn to drive with one hand? Any body? Juan Martin?
                            don_budge

Comment

Dominic Thiem is impressive. Still young so will only be getting better. An Austrian who is dominating on clay...What is this, the mid 90's? Ode to Muster.

Berdych cruised vs. Goffin. Must face Kyrgios next. The way Kyrgios dismantled Gasket was something.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              I too watched Kyrgios dismantle Gasquet, who was playing well. Nick's talent is undeniable top 5 and a contender for any major, but his I'm too cool to be out here attitude, mumbling, and just the way he is, is about the worst I have ever seen. In the match vs Gasquet, up a set and on serve in the 2nd, he went off on his box, which includes his psycho looking brother, for not cheering adequately for him and gestured to the exits, saying they should just leave because of their inadequate support, cheering for him. It was just pitiful.
                              Last edited by stroke; 02-20-2016, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                                I too watched Kyrgios dismantle Gasquet, who was playing well. Nick's talent is undeniable top 5 and a contender for any major, but his I'm too cool to be out here attitude, mumbling, and just the way he is, is about the worst I have ever seen. In the match vs Gasquet, up a set and on serve in the 2nd, he went off on his box, which includes his psycho looking brother, for not cheering adequately for him and gestured to the exits, saying they should just leave because of their inadequate support, cheering for him. It was just pitiful.
                                He is a muddled individual, isn't he? The bottom line is Kyrgios is just a spoilt child who wants attention. He has heard the popular press of how the game lacks personalities and he aims to fill that gap by behaving like a paper hat.

Behaving badly is out of date. It's a bit like punk rock; it's had it's time and could never be the same again second time around.

I think the players could make themselves more characterful if they were more open and honest in pressers. But as the media fry players as soon as they say something remotely "incorrect", that's unlikely to happen. Players didn't turn into stuffed manikins overnight. The media played a big part in making them like that.

Kyrgios has talent, however, and there is no denying that. He is great shot-maker. He's going to get better too.
                                Last edited by stotty; 02-20-2016, 08:54 AM.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7825 users online. 4 members and 7821 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X