Official John McEnroe Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official John McEnroe Thread

I have initiated this thread for the discussion of McEnroe, so as not to hijack other threads. I suggest discussing him here.
    This is my first and last post in this thread.

I like the idea of free-wheeling discussion better. I see no reason why a discussion can't go upward, sideward or even downward. I am speaking as a teacher here. Of course you would like your students, in a conversation class, to stay on topic-- or you think you would. But some of the best perceptions come when the teacher desists from being over-controlling. The most interesting teacher, to my mind, at the North Carolina School for the Arts was a fellow named Michel, who taught both French and painting. He knew he liked digression and digressive discussion but always insisted on a return to the starting point. And he knew what he was apt to do-- free-associate. So he instructed a student in the front row to keep tabs on him and make sure he came back to the beginning point. If he hadn't naturally come full circle the student would inform him of that and he then would do it. Best of all, he could, i.e., knew how to tie everything up.

Of course, in this discussion board there is no "teacher." The person writing the most current post is in control until the next person does the same. Any of the writers has more power than most realize. And that power certainly includes the ability to return the discussion to its inception. He could gripe instead, I suppose.

I realize that some people just don't like free association and want their life to be quite ordered if not regulated. I can see such persons preferring article form over letter form. But I have done both-- was a contributing editor in magazine work over decades and know which I prefer...at this time...in my life.

Other people see things differently. Fine.
    Last edited by bottle; 02-16-2016, 09:24 AM.

Comment

More meandering please

I like the way threads often go off course and meander. They often finish far more interesting than when they started out. Also, interesting things happen out of chaos. Look at the world, for example.
      Stotty

Comment

This is a futile attempt to disrupt the natural flow of the universe. Afterall, the universe centers around John McEnroe.

Comment

centers on?

Comment

revolves 'round?
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thank you for correcting me after my failed one liner. It is vastly appreciated.

Comment

lol...
                don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  I have initiated this thread for the discussion of McEnroe, so as not to hijack other threads. I suggest discussing him here.
                  This is my first and last post in this thread.
                  Did you intend to start this on his birthday?

Comment

Happy Birthday #57 to…John McEnroe!

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
                    Did you intend to start this on his birthday?
                    I'm guessing not. Its a karmic blunder. A coincidence? Or fate?
                    don_budge

Comment

I declare this thread officially closed. Not enough McEnroe fans out there...

Comment

In the nineties, I had an occasion or two to hit with John McEnroe. Sharing notes with the proprietor of this site, I remember Mr. Yandell's summation:
                        On a tennis court, John McEnroe is able to warp the time-space continuum.

Comment

Correct. My balls seemed to travel to him in slow motion and actually felt slower than usual coming off my racket. Disconcerting! He was in slow motion hitting and then his ball was on top of you like a laser.

Comment

Johnny Boy...

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                            Correct. My balls seemed to travel to him in slow motion and actually felt slower than usual coming off my racket. Disconcerting! He was in slow motion hitting and then his ball was on top of you like a laser.
                            Testimony to the greatness…of the Great John McEnroe! Bravo! Johnny was the exclamation point at the end of Classic Tennis. RIP.
                            don_budge

Comment

Johnny…Johnny McEnroe's Symphony

Johnny…Johnny. The flesh is weak…only the soul is immortal. (Robert DeNiro as Mephistopheles to Mickey Rourke in "Angel Heart")

Johnny was marching to his own drummer. He wasn't asking for second opinions.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 04-08-2016, 12:07 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8002 users online. 5 members and 7997 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X