Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Moore's comments....

A quote from the BBC website:

Earlier, Indian Wells Tennis Garden CEO Raymond Moore said the women's WTA Tour "ride on the coat-tails of the men".

Djokovic described the comments as "not politically correct".

The Serbian player said women "fought for what they deserve and they got it", but that the men's ATP tennis world "should fight for more".

"Stats are showing that we have much more spectators on the men's tennis matches. I think that is one of the... reasons why maybe we should get awarded more."

"As long as it is like that and there is data and stats available and information... upon who attracts more attention, spectators, who sells more tickets and stuff like that, in relation to that it has to be fairly distributed."

Mr Moore caused controversy earlier when he said: "If I was a lady player, I would go down every night on my knees and thank God that Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal were born, because they have carried this sport. They really have."

He later apologised for the remarks.
    Should Ray Moore have apologised for he is remarks? Clumsy though they were, can a man not express his true thoughts?
    Last edited by stotty; 03-21-2016, 12:45 AM.
    Stotty

He can certainly express his thoughts and is free to do that. But when you are the CEO of the 5th largest tennis tournament in the world, and half of your event involves the women's tour, you may want to be a bit more cautious about what you say, or at least how it comes off. Sometimes its not what you say but how you say it. Not a smart move.

Good luck to Ray Moore as he will be unemployed shortly.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Apologize?

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      A quote from the BBC website:

Should Ray Moore have apologised for he is remarks? Clumsy though they were, can a man not express his true thoughts?
      Don't get me started.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Outlets.

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        Don't get me started.
        THere are so few opportunities in woman's sports.

I think the sport of tennis should be celebrated for what the great things they have done for the ladies.

The sport of tennis has created dreams, and hopes for young girls.

I am a father of two girls, and I have used the sport of tennis to build characteristics into my two girls that will serve them well moving forward.
        Last edited by hockeyscout; 03-21-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Women agree with Ray

Something unexpected happened this morning.

I asked 14 ladies at my tennis coffee morning session this morning what they thought of Ray Moore's comments about women's tennis. All the ladies agreed with Ray. Every one stated they would rather watch men's tennis than women's tennis, and that goes for all sports not just tennis. None of them switch on for ladies tennis except for the Wimbledon final.

When I asked them why, they said women's tennis just isn't as good.

All of them love Rafa and Roger...and some are growing to like Djokovic. Only one of them likes Andy Murray.

Clumsy though Ray was, he spoke what was on his mind...what he felt. Many of us have those same feelings, of course, it's just that someone in Ray's position isn't allowed to express them.
          Stotty

Comment

Right, Ray Moore can say what he likes privately, but not as a tournament director.

Comment

Professional sport is entertainment. The justification for performers' pay is draw, paying customers (whether viewers or advertisers).

Ray's comment makes sense in this particular way: In an amateur era when tennis was a social and relatively elite sport, it was natural to have both men's and women's events rolled into one tournament.

When the open era began and the sport became primarily a money game, its stars (and their support system) undeniably motivated from childhood by dreams of serious money, the equation ought to have changed. The rewards should have been tied more closely to the drawing power of the performers. It actual went the other way.

Ray is correct to analyze the large benefit to female players which has flowed from being part of each of the major tournaments. There isn't much sense to demand "equal pay for unequal work" or to claim in a single sex tournament that the pay "ought" to be equal to "that other sex's tournament" held separately.

I've looked at the issue more closely in other industries. I basically agree with Djokovic's comments.

Comment

Hmmm....

Personally I find it annoying that everyone is jumping on the band wagon to vilify Ray Moore. Especially when some of these very same people know darn well he is telling the truth. It's just a great way for others to elevate themselves onto the "correct" bandwagon and become all "goody two-shoes".

Now Navratilova is coming out with the threat that women may boycott Indian Wells next year, which Serena will, given her history at the event. Very crafty of Navratilova to sow that seed.

I would let them boycott it. I bet the revenue would be no less for it. Call their bluff....
                Stotty

Comment

This is an old discussion, was supposed to have been settled ages ago... Does no good to bring it up again...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                    This is an old discussion, was supposed to have been settled ages ago... Does no good to bring it up again...
                    Well I missed it first time round so that's why I threaded it....
                    Stotty

Comment

I think you all have it backwards. Every man in the locker room should be thankful for Roger Federer. Since 2005 (when revenues we almost equal) the men's tour has seen its revenue steadily climb. Rafa's, Novak's, Andy's and Roger's public images and marking have be a running storyline for the last several years and that is what is out performing the women's tour. The familiar faces at the top. However, the women have been suffering from a lack of a storyline. Wait a five years, after Roger, Nadal, and Novak retire and lets see which tour is doing better. I will put my money on the women.

And lets not defend a guy who made a stupid comment.

Comment

I realize I am not going to change anyone's opinion but I feel a lot better. thanks guys.

Comment

Ask a tennis fan to name the top 10 or even just the top 5 men and women players in the world according to the current ATP and WTA rankings. How about just an average sports fan that watches tennis occasionally. They will all know Serena, but most won't be able to come up with any other names (Sharapova is not even in the top 10 now).

Djokovic, Murray, Federer and Nadal on the men's side and Serena and Maria on the women's side are the recognizable names. How many will know that Agnieszka is the second ranked woman in the world or be able to give her last name? Or Angelique's at 3? (Kerber).

Ray Moore oversaw equal prize money at Indian Wells for women. Compare the purses and attendance numbers at men's and women's tour major events around the world where the men and women do not play together.

don

Comment

Well, one story line is that Serena might be the best women's player of all time. Personally I was pulling for her to get the annual Slam.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                              Well, one story line is that Serena might be the best women's player of all time. Personally I was pulling for her to get the annual Slam.
                              Yes but she doesn't have an opponent....except herself of course.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7879 users online. 5 members and 7874 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X