No announcement yet.

Likeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the British talk show. Claire Balding. Nice find budgie!

Comment

Originally posted by maxply View Post
      Stotty,

Well said. Like a conductor's baton, Ilie waved that Maxply, and the ball just listened. He volleyed with touch, but could thump it, too, like Tony Roche.

What got me was his speed around the court. Not a small guy, but man could he move. Then at the end of an impossible sprint, he could spin a forehand in the alley around a great volleyer...then make the ball land an inch or two inside the singles sideline.

He must smile when players gush about:
      The banana pass;
      The topspin lob winner;
      The one handed backhand swing volley;
      The tweener, or the (Bucharest) backfire lob retrieval;
      or a sick little drop volley after a heavy serve.

Like Hoad, Laver and Santana, this guy invented most of the coolest shots.

Thenks for that. Yes! Tignor describes it so well. And to hear an aging Nastase tell the tale on a British talk show is just hilarious.

And who could forget the early days of the American Express card? When Nastase's card was stolen, Ilie joked that he delayed reporting it because the thief was spending quite a bit less than his wife.

Likeable.
      The banana pass was a good one. He could do it off his backhand side too. Dan Maskell said he had never seen any other player do that. I haven't seen any other player do it either, before or since.

His topspin lobs were terrific. The best I have seen. Amazing when you consider he used a continental grip.
      Stotty

Comment

Rod Laver
        Ken Rosewall
        Lew Hoad
        Guillermo Vilas
        Manolo Santana
        Manuel Orantes
        Vitas Gerulaitis
        Arthur Ashe
        Henri Leconte
        Chris Lewis
        Adriano Panatta
        Claudio Panatta
        Jose Luis Clerc
        Johnny Mac
        Wojtek Fibak
        Mikael Pernfors
        Yannick Noah
        Boris Becker pre-2001
        Magnus Larsson
        Emilio Sanchez
        Michael Stich
        MaliVai Washington
        Magnus Norman
        Hicham Arazi
        Karim Alami
        Sergi Bruguera
        Younes Al Aynaoui
        Richard Krajicek
        Todd Martin
        Peter Korda
        Alex Corretja
        Andrei Chesnokov
        Alberto Costa
        Rod Frawley
        Scott Draper
        Martin Verkerk
        JC Ferrero
        Marcos Baghdatis
        Marat Safin
        Tim Mayotte
        Gustavo Kuerten
        Patrick Rafter
        Goran Ivanisevic

All easy to like.
        Last edited by maxply; 05-07-2016, 04:38 AM.

Comment

I never liked Henri Leconte...

Comment

Leconte

Haha, too much of a flake for you? Too flashy? Or is it the slappy strokes? The kooky shot selection?

As I remember, at his best, he played with joy and creativity. The thwack of his ground strokes was inspiring. I took French in middle school in the early 80s, and was happy to see some his matches live. Friendly, happy, and Nice enough to hit with a few of us ball boys. Signed one of my Head Edgewoods. But my opinion of him leveled off:
            when he showed his pissy, ineffective side in the 1987 RG final against Mats;
            when he overachieved against Sampras in Davis cup, 1991.

But I guess Davis Cup will play tricks on you. I remember wondering who the hell is this Gustavo kid, trouncing our DC dubs team? Was there a Dislike button back in 1997?
            Then the whole tennis world fell in love with him months later when he won his first RG. Kuerten could write a book on likability. And his game just got better and better. He even held The number one spot briefly. Even as a non-playing ambassador, he is endearing, and will be remembered well.
            Last edited by maxply; 05-08-2016, 07:42 AM.

Comment

One more for your list -

Dustin Brown, anyone?

Comment

I can't say why and there is no good reason...just didn't like watching him play...

But who could hate the red heart in the clay?

Comment

I thought that match vs. Nadal last summer at Wimbledon was the most entertaining thing I've seen on a court in a long, long time.

John, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Tennis Congress this Fall.
                  You're going to be there as faculty again this year, right?

You might be interested in what we're doing in terms of video analysis of tennis. I won't go into specifics here but if you're curious, shoot me a direct email.

Comment

Brainless...

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                    I can't say why and there is no good reason...just didn't like watching him play...
                    I never liked watching Laconte play either, basically because he had nothing between his ears. He slapped the ball around and played on his own terms. I never saw him once adjust his game when things weren't going his way.
                    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                      I never liked watching Laconte play either, basically because he had nothing between his ears. He slapped the ball around and played on his own terms. I never saw him once adjust his game when things weren't going his way.
                      Haha, yes, he makes a slapper like james Blake seem as smart and cagey as wilander.

Comment

Mark,

Great. Why don't you email me at videotennis@metricmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by markconway View Post
                          Dustin Brown, anyone?
                          Likeable....Fun, attacking, stylish game. Strange to see that he uses two hands on the backhand.
                          His pre-point rituals are so peaceful, but also very deliberate looking. Complex game. Easy to root for.

Met him at a challenger through two friends, and I was impressed at what thoughtful guy he is.
                          Last edited by maxply; 05-12-2016, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by markconway View Post
                            Dustin Brown, anyone?
                            Yes, love watching his imaginative play! And he is a real cool journeyman too!

Comment

Dominic Thiem has an enjoyable game. He seems like a nice, hardworking kid.

Comment

Originally posted by maxply View Post
                                Dominic Thiem has an enjoyable game. He seems like a nice, hardworking kid.
                                Absolutely. His game is getting better and better all the time. As Kyle mentioned, he has won tournaments on hard courts, clay courts and grass courts this year. Hope he has a good run at Wimbledon. Change of the guard is long overdue...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4019 users online. 1 members and 4018 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X