Three Timeless Principles from Jimmy Connors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Timeless Principles from Jimmy Connors

Let's get your thoughts on Joel Drucker's latest article, "Three Timeless Principles from Jimmy Connors"

Burt Reynolds…"Now you get to play the game…"

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Let's get your thoughts on Joel Drucker's latest article, "Three Timeless Principles from Jimmy Connors"
    "I asked a question that had been on my mind for several years."Jimmy," I said, "If I'd taken lessons from your mother, what would I have learned?"

Connors didn't respond. He looked away from me and stared at the Pacific Ocean. Then he turned back, leaned a foot closer to me, his hazel eyes squinting as if he was about to hit a service return. "Son," he said, "you would have learned the game.""

This reminds me of a scene out of one of my most movies of all time. Deliverance. The scene is one of the most telling I have ever seen. It speaks of a grit that reveals itself when life is hanging in the balance and the brain begins to entertain thoughts of just rolling over and letting death tickle the undersides of your tender, fat belly. But then the instinct of self preservation comes ringing to life in the voice of Burt Reynold's character "Lewis" in Deliverance…and James Scott Connor's mother in this article by Joel Drucker…you decide to be a man about it and fight to the bitter end.

Jon Voight, at the end of his rope, asks Reynolds…"What are we going to do Lewis? You're the guy with all the answers! What the hell we do now?"

Burt Reynolds grimacing with all of his remaining strength and courage…"Now you get to play the game."

Sounds a bit like Gloria Connors with the same intensity.

Jimmy Connors…pound for pound the toughest "Mama's Boy" that ever lived to play professional tennis. I would dearly loved to see this fellow play these modern day pretenders with their big shiny snow-shoe sized racquets. He was the very last to give up his sword…the bucket of bolts Wilson T2000. They don't make them like Connors anymore…anymore than they make 'em like Lewis.

I watched this entire match from the very top row in the stadium at the U. S. Open in 1978. I had seen Adriano Panatta practicing on an outside court the day before and was so impressed with his beautiful game. It was inspiring to watch. I said to my friend that this guy could take Connors tomorrow.

The match was as beautifully played as any that I have seen…ever. Panatta and Connors parried and thrust all afternoon in the most elegant of scenes. It came down to this point…I am unsure of the score but surely it was the pivotal point of the match. Late in the fifth set…late in the day. Panatta knifes the forehand volley acutely cross court and Connors runs forever to chase it down and he manages to hit a one handed backhand down the line past a bewildered Panatta. The greatest shot ever…Jimmy was playing the game.
    Last edited by don_budge; 04-08-2016, 01:09 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Great article from Joel.
      After his series on "Jimmy Connors Saved My Life" I thought that was the end of the Connors highlight but this article has been by far my favorite. Those three lessons can be used for all areas of life, all sports, all jobs. Love the way Joel paints the picture and makes the reader want to know more. Great stuff all around.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Panatta '78

Nice to hear kind comments from Kyle and Don Budge. Indeed, that Panatta match -- perhaps that one shot alone -- might well be the most important of Connors' entire career. Think how the Connors story line flows if he doesn't win that '78 US Open.

And yet, then again, so many of Connors' moments were dramatic, compelling and consequential. As consistent and victorious as he often was, there were tons of tournaments where his story line hinged on the edge like this. What happens if he loses one of those four set points to Borg in third set TB of '76 US Open final? Or doesn't rally from two sets to love down to beat McEnroe at Wembley in '81? On and on and on. So many thrills.

Comment

I bought the book and liked it. If you enjoyed the articles - get the book...

Comment

So far as "business," I got a taste of that at a junior tournament in the 1960s. No didn't play him...in tennis. But between matches he was taking on all comers in ping pong. Literally about 10 guys lined up to play him. My score was 21-3, Jimmy. After the last point, he gave me a dismissive look and said "Next."

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8576 users online. 6 members and 8570 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X