Jim Courier's racket preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Courier's racket preparation

Just reread the series on forehands ( you've got to read it many times to grasp all the concepts).

Like a lot of players I experiment with different takebacks etc. And I think I've come to realize that when I'm not hitting well it's because I'm not getting into the hitting position in time. And this might have a lot to do, for me, with some muscle tension in matches which restricts the last but critical movement into the hitting position with the wrist layback.

Then I read one of your comments about how you recommend for some a more straightback or extremly compact racket takeback.

Which brings me to Jim Courier . Although you have only a few clips of his groundies he seems to be extremely compact on both forehand and backhand ,especially backhand. On his forehand he seems to take the racket back at about hitting height ( forget eye level like Agassi or higher like Hewitt)

So, my general question. Is he not a good model for club players especially on the forehand side? I understand that his backhand grips make his contact further in front than others but what about his motion if used with more conventional grips?

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn,

Sure why not? I think it's a bit awkward how he turns the face down like that, but I agree with the general point. Federer is damn compact too. You know what I really like as a model? Federer's forehand returns! 1st S returns when he swings. Straight back with the racket head angle up and a natural change of direction thru arm rotation. Check those out.

John

Comment

Speaking of players with compact takebacks, Aaron Krickstein is playing Goran on the Tennis Channel. I don't think I've ever seen a pro player with such a compact takeback, and on both wings too.

Comment

Sure, rub it in Vin--no Tennis Channel in Norcal...

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
          Sure, rub it in Vin--no Tennis Channel in Norcal...
          Man, that stinks! I also have cold winters and snow, want to trade?

It's strange that the Tennis Channel isn't available in one of the country's biggest tennis areas.

Comment

We're waiting for Comcast... good point about the weather I'll stay here.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8751 users online. 4 members and 8747 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X