Stupid YouTube Teaching Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apples. Oranges.

We really can't compare this website with these youtube teaching characters. Their dogmatic approaches and their singular voice makes it more ego and less teacher. The beauty of this site is the range of contributions from experts in their field. It's not just John's voice, it is many. All these voices are on this site for a reason, and they decided to contribute to this site for the same reason. Because they believe in learning the game, teaching the game, better understanding the game.

I've read every article on this site, most multiple times, some more than I care to admit. I'm not always amazed by every article, but every article in every issue makes me do something that no youtube tennis coach does. These articles make me think. I may not agree or understand some of them after I read, but it allows me to ask deeper questions about stroke production, my students, the game of tennis as a whole. What the hell happens when a player hits a ball and how do they produce that? That's what its about. And because of that, it makes me a better player, teacher, educator and fan.

You simply cannot compare the breadth and depth of analysis, expertise and range of articles on this site to a youtube page with a guy in front of tripod and a public court extrapolating or snapping the wrist on a serve or pulling across the body while jumping backwards to hit a forehand.

I understand John is curious and amused by that youtube tennis culture and that is fine. But just because an Aston Martin and 1987 Yugo both have wheels and a steering column, does not mean you can call them both finely tuned automobiles.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

I think collaboration is the key. It's impossible to pull off a website like this one completely alone. Having multiple contributions from other renowned tennis authors and experts is one of the things that makes Tennisplayer work so well.
      Stotty

Comment

Thanks Kyle and Stotty!

I guess my frustration is exactly because of what you guys say and I also believe--there is noting like the breadth and width of our voices--and I wish we could reach out further in the teaching culture--something I am always trying to do--because I know there are a lot of others out there that could be having the same great experience--teachers and players.

Comment

I think we're a rare breed of people, the TennisPlayer long-term regulars, which ironically is probably part of the reason we don't have a larger group of like-minded players/coaches on here.

Most people want quick easy progress, they don't want to make the effort to properly learn and understand something. Therefore, they love the awful YouTube material, because it seems simple and easy, and all they have to do is watch a few minutes of video without much thought. They 'like' the video and praise the idiot who made it, because they don't have that advanced understanding that comes with a relentless desire to learn and grow. They probably go out on the court next time, and can't even remember what they saw in the video, so don't even try it out properly.

I doubt there's hardly a day that goes by where any of the regulars on here don't think, learn and try to get better. Whereas, with many coaches and players, it seems to me hardly a day goes by where they DO seek to improve their knowledge and understanding. It seems human nature dictates that most people are this way, and I'm not passing judgement on whether one is better than the other. I certainly have a very busy life because of it, but it's just the way I'm wired. I love learning more and understanding more, and tennis is great for that because it's so complex!

Loved reading the post from hockeyscout about the baseball coach, seemed a wise old head, and a great lesson. Kyle's Apples/Oranges post also summed up the situation perfectly. I would just add this side of it, that most people don't have enough desire to come to a place like this and take the time and effort to get involved and get the most out of it. Not to say, I'm sure there are MANY people out there who would embrace this site and community, who are waiting to be discovered.

And of course I took to YouTube last year myself and did my series, one main reason being to try and put something of better quality out there. What I'm realising now is that most viewers aren't able to distinguish between a good YouTube video and a bad one. You can lead a horse to water....

Comment

That is a problem with YouTube videos. A beginner has no idea what is good and what isn't. Often it is how someone "sells" himself, which can be deceptive.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Often it is how someone "sells" himself, which can be deceptive.
              Exactly, people buy into the person not their skills. A coach wth a colourful personality who sells himself well will always do well even if he has no clue what he is talking about. That's life. Tennis coaching isn't the only trade with this element.
              Stotty

Comment

As a USPTA certified professional, we are required to get a specific number of education credits within a time frame. although the figure is minimal that you almost have to try to avoid reaching that goal. The number is 6 education credit hours in the span of 3 years. That is not asking for much. In this same three year window which ends Dec 31st 2016, I have accumulated 147 credit hours and have no intentions of stopping. I visit district meetings and regional and national conventions. I have some speaking engagements at a few of these. And to John's credit, he is consistently requested as a presenter at the national convention and he never disappoints. Not every coach takes their learning and education as seriously as we all do on this forum, but there are a handful that do care. Those handful also are the ones that contribute to the industry, to their students and to their fellow professionals. It's easy to see in their work.

As the game of tennis evolves, its only fitting that tennis coaches should as well. Makes sense.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Last edited by klacr; 04-19-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Well, the problem is the same as when a beginner goes to a tennis pro for lessons. How can he/she judge the quality of the teacher?

Comment

By the kind of car he drives.
                    😏Jk.

A beginner judging the quality of a teacher? It is like anything else...and it has nothing to do with tennis.

By reputation, sincerity, humility, experience, track record, style, studiousness, communication skills...willingness to use a bit of technology at times (e.g., a ball machine, high speed footage, an iPad, and some fun, innovative methods).

Beginners ain't no dummies. They can tell who is real and who is a phony.

Comment

On a happier not Phil do you remember Beat Bossart?? He remembers you and said your serve was great!

Comment

Sure I remember Beat and his brother Marc! Beat and Marc were two very talented players! Real nice guys too! We had a lot of laughs together! Did you hear from Beat? We were in TC Seeblick in Zurich.

This would interest him: http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...epoque-zurich/

I googled and found a USPTA Tennis pro in Mills Valley, CA. Great to see Beat again! Know if he has an email address?
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTjXTStWgiA
                        Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-22-2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

That's him hitting that huge forehand in the current article in my series! And more to come with him in it. I see him all the time at Harbor Point, the club we both belong to in Marin county. I told him about your articles and he said something like he might recognize some of the characters himself...

His email: bbossart@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks John, will write him!

Comment

The Other Side of the Coin...

A lot of youtube videos are extremely interesting…which takes nothing away from tennisplayer.net. The internet is loaded with information. Everyone has good intentions…right?

I found this video to be extremely interesting…but that's not to say that others wouldn't denigrate it.
                              don_budge
                              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks again John, we hooked up and hope to meet in Switzerland this year when he visits his parents!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1874 users online. 5 members and 1869 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X