Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 BMW Open…Munich Germany, Millennium Estoril Open…Estoril, Portugal ATP 250's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 BMW Open…Munich Germany, Millennium Estoril Open…Estoril, Portugal ATP 250's

A couple of tournaments. Of no consequence really. Roger Federer isn't playing. There is another meaningless ATP tournament going on in Turkey somewhere. ISIS in attendance no doubt.

But I only post this for one reason. Just to post this article about the future of modern tennis. ATP hyping a contest between Nick (The Jerk) Kyrgios and Borna (Gain) Coric. The "Next Generation". Yawn.

Read Nick's assessment of his opponent. It isn't that surprising or sophisticated. He's really good on both wings. He's improved in every aspect.
    This is what the tennis world has in store for it for the future. The forum will get their Nick Kyrgios. As much as they can stomach.

“He was always a guy that was really good on both wings,” said Kyrgios. “Solid serve, solid returning. He’s developed every aspect of his game. He moves well now. He doesn’t really miss. He plays similar, but he’s just sort of gotten a lot better in every aspect.”
    Last edited by don_budge; 04-28-2016, 10:59 PM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Thiem versus Dodig…Emergency Toilet Break

I thought that I would take a peep at Thiem…but what I am watching is an "emergency" toilet break taken by Dodig.

Immediately before this emergency there was a dispute about a line call. Apparently it wasn't the first one of the match. Dodig was making a big fuss. It was 0-1 with Dodig serving in the third set. It got to the point that Dodig went to his chair and sat down…it looked like he was threatening to quit then and there.

After losing his serve he claimed that he was under some duress…something wanted to come out. He left the court much to the chagrin of Thiem…some minutes later they are still waiting for his return.

He should have been defaulted. Or I should say….years ago he would automatically have been.
    don_budge

Comment

And a third 250 event in Istanbul, where Dimitrov blew a set and 5-2 lead in the final, before purposely getting a game penalty by smashing a 3rd racket to pieces at 0-5 in the final set to concede the match. The crowd booed, but probably loved the drama.

Tennis might not have the variety of game styles that it used to, but it still has a great scoring system, that is incredibly mentally challenging for the players to cope with, and as a result provides exciting viewing in another way for the spectators.

No-one would have been leaving the stadium in Munich as Kohlschreiber eventually landed the title. He served for the first set twice before edging it in a tie-break 9-7, then blew a 5-2 lead in the final set, broken to love when serving for it. Eventually wins in the tie-break, having lost a 3rd set tie-break in the final last year. I doubt many people in the stadium would have felt they weren't entertained, or didn't get value for money.

Even Estoril showed another example, Almagro unable to serve out the 1st set on 2 occasions, and then unable to convert a 6-2 lead in the tie-break, but eventually comes back and wins 6-7 7-6 6-3 for the title.

I totally get what you're saying don_budge about where the game is going, and how the tactical challenges aren't as varied or demanding as they used to be. For me however, I find a lot of motivation to watch tennis matches based on seeing how the players handle the mental/emotional challenges, which will always be there because of the scoring system. The players may be becoming more robotic in terms of how they hit the ball, but given how many instances there are of players failing to convert leads and chances to serve for sets/matches, they are not yet becoming robotic in handling the mental/emotional side of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by nickw View Post
        And a third 250 event in Istanbul, where Dimitrov blew a set and 5-2 lead in the final, before purposely getting a game penalty by smashing a 3rd racket to pieces at 0-5 in the final set to concede the match. The crowd booed, but probably loved the drama.

Tennis might not have the variety of game styles that it used to, but it still has a great scoring system, that is incredibly mentally challenging for the players to cope with, and as a result provides exciting viewing in another way for the spectators.

No-one would have been leaving the stadium in Munich as Kohlschreiber eventually landed the title. He served for the first set twice before edging it in a tie-break 9-7, then blew a 5-2 lead in the final set, broken to love when serving for it. Eventually wins in the tie-break, having lost a 3rd set tie-break in the final last year. I doubt many people in the stadium would have felt they weren't entertained, or didn't get value for money.

Even Estoril showed another example, Almagro unable to serve out the 1st set on 2 occasions, and then unable to convert a 6-2 lead in the tie-break, but eventually comes back and wins 6-7 7-6 6-3 for the title.

I totally get what you're saying don_budge about where the game is going, and how the tactical challenges aren't as varied or demanding as they used to be. For me however, I find a lot of motivation to watch tennis matches based on seeing how the players handle the mental/emotional challenges, which will always be there because of the scoring system. The players may be becoming more robotic in terms of how they hit the ball, but given how many instances there are of players failing to convert leads and chances to serve for sets/matches, they are not yet becoming robotic in handling the mental/emotional side of the game.
        great post.

Tennis is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you handle it.

Dimitrov was shameful yesterday in his behavior. But I'm not holding it against him in future. But if you've played long enough in this sport. You've been there, you've been to that breaking point, you've been so infuriated with your level of play, missed opportunities, variables out of your control that you can't shake...we've all been there. He just committed himself further than he probably should have. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Culmination Point…Post Federer

Interesting post nickw. You get it…we (tennis) are faced with a culmination point. It doesn't appear that tennis can go on and maintain an interested tennis public based on what we have seen to date.

Back in 2001 tennis was faced with a culmination point as well. When two players like Goran Ivanisovic and Patrick Rafter get to the final of the Wimbledon Championships and play a five set match where the average duration of a point is less than two shots…that became a problem for the game.

But now there is a problem of a different nature and it has something to do with the dreadfully monotonous nature of the game. By reacting and reengineering the last culmination point they have perhaps inadvertently engineered whole staple aspects of the game of tennis right out of the professional game. We have a problem…Houston.

There is something ultimately unique about the game though that remains. I won't say untouched because there has been tampering with the scoring system post the 1968 culmination point. Tennis and golf are God's gift to mankind in terms of recreation. It's a pity that when man get involved that he tends to muck things up…it wasn't broken in the first place.

We will just have to wait and see what the brain trust is going to do. I know what I would do…I can just hear the crying.
          don_budge

Comment

The Grigor Dimitrov Meltdown...

This was really "ugly" and I don't think anybody could be amused by this behavior. Grigor Dimitrov is lucky that he didn't hurt himself in this fit of anger. The flying debris from the graphite splintering could have gotten into his eyes. The last racquet he demolishes against another racquet that could have somehow injured him as well.

There have been incidents in the past where athletes have inadvertently injured themselves in fits of rage or self imploding anger. That this would happen in the finals of an event is very disturbing and it will be interesting to see how the tennis authorities react to this. A suspension would not be out of the question.

No mention of it on the ATP website. Imagine my surprise.
            Last edited by don_budge; 05-03-2016, 12:43 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3806 users online. 2 members and 3804 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X