Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder Wedge

Bungalow Bill,

Are you still experimenting with the Wonder Wedge? Have you reached any conclusions as to its helpfulness in improving one's strokes?

Rick

Originally posted by rick
    Bungalow Bill,

Are you still experimenting with the Wonder Wedge? Have you reached any conclusions as to its helpfulness in improving one's strokes?

Rick
    Rick,

Thanks for your asking. I dont use the wonder wedge personally any more. I used it to help me solidify my grip change to a SW which I thought it was very good for.

I do however have them on my childrens racket and it really helps them a lot because they are weaker and need the extra leverage and sensory memorization in the hand to know they are in the right grip. I teach them the SW grip not the Eastern. I am pretty sure they will keep it on their rackets through their playing career - it is something they will get used to.

I thought the Wonder Wedge is an excellent product to get massive spin on the ball. It is a good product to help people adjust to a different grip and helpp people learn how to spin the ball. For some, this is a good product to continue with.

My game is so old and engrained that I used it to help me with the grip change to a SW. But I do bring it out on occasion to solidy cetain things. I do not see any issue with someone using it for both matches and practices. I still think it is a great product.

Comment

Hi Rick and BB,

Well I finally got through to the forum. Rick thanks for asking about the WW and BB thanks for the thoughtful reply. I do think people like BB who play tennis on such a high level and also understand the intricate details of grips, swing path, contact point and all that stuff so much better then us "average guys," that the WW is not necessary for them to move their hand accurately from grip to grip on the racquet handle. These guys have spent hours and hours of practicing and experimenting with grips. They have fine tuned both the hand on the throat of the handle and the hand on the racquet handle to help them find the grips.

For players on this level moving to a new grip can be especially hard because the become so ingrained. The WW helped BB move to the SW

I used it to help me solidify my grip change to a SW which I thought it was very good for.

He also noticed the tremendous amount of action he put on the ball.

I thought the Wonder Wedge is an excellent product to get massive spin on the ball.

Wow, here is the ultimate testimonial, think about it.

I do however have them on my childrens racket and it really helps them a lot because they are weaker and need the extra leverage and sensory memorization in the hand to know they are in the right grip. I teach them the SW grip not the Eastern. I am pretty sure they will keep it on their rackets through their playing career - it is something they will get used to.

I wish that everyone could have started out with the WW on their racquet and then have someone come out with a standard shaped handle that people use today and try to get anyone use it. It would never happen. The frame of reference is terrible almost non existent and the points of leverage and traction are so weak.

Thanks guys,

Comment

I use the wonder wedge, have had it on my racquets for over a year. I have a testimonial up on Ed's tennisgeometrics site about it. I do think that anyone under a 4.5 level ought to try it out. It forces one to use a continental grip for serves and volleys, it is very difficult to cheat toward a rudimary eastern grip for these shots, which is common in so many players, particularly below the 4.0 level. Also, it does make grip changes and grip points of referance much better than a standard grip. It is also great or semi and western forehands and a very secure strong eastern one handed BH grip. I would love to see John Yadell try it out and get his take on it. If one can get used to serving, slice BH's, and a volley type of defensive slice FH using the WW continental grip, he/she is on the way to possibly a new level of tennis.

Comment

Stroke, thanks.

Some comments:

I do think that anyone under a 4.5 level ought to try it out.

At the 4.5 level and below there are so many opportunities to improve your game. Serve, backhand, forehand, slice topspin, whatever. It is such a shame to see pretty good players that have a major weakness and they never correct it. They get stuck on a lower level when in reality they could be so much better. I constantly have to fight the perception that the WW is only for lower level players. It drives me crazy. Yes, it will make the lower level players move their hand on the handle better and force them to really think about the grip and the relationship between swing path, racquet head angle and contact point. For some of them it is like a "New Awareness." All of a sudden they start to understand. Tennis becomes more then just a game, it becomes a mission of constant improvement, practice, experimentation. The WW IS ALSO FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE PLAYERS. The increased leverage and traction alone make it extremely valuable to players that operate with very high racquet head speeds.

I would love to see John Yadell try it out and get his take on it.

You and me both. I don't think he is too "Old School" Just kidding, that is one of the great things about the site. It is open to different points of view.

Just in case some of you have never heard of the WW here is a photo of it attached to the racquet handle. Oh baby, feel the power. Grip and Rip!

Comment

Ed, I do feel that advanced players could benefit from the Wonder Wedge, I just can't personally comment on it, since I am not in that advanced category. I am a 4.0 level player. I would love to see some young tournament level player that hits modern powerful ground strokes give it a go. They already hit with so much spin, it would be real interesting to see the enhancement to their ball quality the WW could provide. Same thing with the serve, the added leverage the WW provides could be something else to their RPM's.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke
              Ed, I do feel that advanced players could benefit from the Wonder Wedge, I just can't personally comment on it, since I am not in that advanced category. I am a 4.0 level player. I would love to see some young tournament level player that hits modern powerful ground strokes give it a go. They already hit with so much spin, it would be real interesting to see the enhancement to their ball quality the WW could provide. Same thing with the serve, the added leverage the WW provides could be something else to their RPM's.
              Very will said. My apologies, I was not really referring to you but more to the teaching pros. For some reason they seem to have this "fear" of keeping the WW on the handle even after it has greatly improved their students SW forehand, serve, backhand or whatever. They like to think of the WW as a "teaching aid," which of course it is. But, but for the life of me I can't figure out why you would ever want to stop using the WW which greatly improves the functionality of the handle. It is legal for play on all levels.

Even BB said, "I am pretty sure they will keep it on their rackets through their playing career - it is something they will get used to."

Stroke, there are a lot of players over the 4.5 level that do use the WW. It is starting to be accepted on the high performance level of tennis. Soon, no one really wants to be the first. Human nature, you have to love it.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by tim tennis
                Very will said. My apologies, I was not really referring to you but more to the teaching pros. For some reason they seem to have this "fear" of keeping the WW on the handle even after it has greatly improved their students SW forehand, serve, backhand or whatever. They like to think of the WW as a "teaching aid," which of course it is. But, but for the life of me I can't figure out why you would ever want to stop using the WW which greatly improves the functionality of the handle. It is legal for play on all levels.

Even BB said, "I am pretty sure they will keep it on their rackets through their playing career - it is something they will get used to."

Stroke, there are a lot of players over the 4.5 level that do use the WW. It is starting to be accepted on the high performance level of tennis. Soon, no one really wants to be the first. Human nature, you have to love it.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Ed
                glad to see you providing useful information!

Comment

Originally posted by stroke

Well Tim Tennis (its Jonnyf from TT) i play in Scotland and im in the Top 50 u16's and used the WW on my 03 Tour, but it got lost (well i never put it on my Prestige Mid) when i changed to a Prestige Mid. Recently my Fh (usually a weapon with my serve) has lost it and i mean LOST IT, i was hitting with less pace and even less spin (i use a western). Now yesterday morning i was clearing my bag out and in a container thing i found my WW. I've now reinstalled the WW and when hitting against the wall i've already noticed that im feeling the ball more and getting lost topspin back. Trully a tribute to a eat product and a great man

Comment

I have a friend who uses it. I tried it out and liked it. The only real problem I have using it, is that I like to twirl my racket very often, and most often the grip would then end up in the wrong direction. Anybody else have encounter this problem? (BTW: I have had this habit for ages, and feel it helps me keep loose, so don't want to break the habit...)

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu
                      I have a friend who uses it. I tried it out and liked it. The only real problem I have using it, is that I like to twirl my racket very often, and most often the grip would then end up in the wrong direction. Anybody else have encounter this problem? (BTW: I have had this habit for ages, and feel it helps me keep loose, so don't want to break the habit...)

Yeah, alot of people have releaving tactics. Djokovic bounces the ball about 17 times before serve for the same reason, name a top pro and their is like a 90% chance they have a "routine" to calm the nerves. Imo the wonder wedge WILL for a period get in the way BUT it is something that can be rectified and if you feel that you like the WW from your mate's racquet enough to try it on your own racquet (which i'd reommened you DO do) then you will find a way around it but again it's totally up to you

Yours Sincerely
                      Jonathan Forrest

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyf
                        Well Tim Tennis (its Jonnyf from TT) i play in Scotland and im in the Top 50 u16's and used the WW on my 03 Tour, but it got lost (well i never put it on my Prestige Mid) when i changed to a Prestige Mid. Recently my Fh (usually a weapon with my serve) has lost it and i mean LOST IT, i was hitting with less pace and even less spin (i use a western). Now yesterday morning i was clearing my bag out and in a container thing i found my WW. I've now reinstalled the WW and when hitting against the wall i've already noticed that im feeling the ball more and getting lost topspin back. Trully a tribute to a eat product and a great man
                        Hello Jonnyf,

Thanks so much for the kind words. So good to hear from you. I am not a great man, just have a great product, I got lucky. A lot of people have shared with me fantastic stories about how they found out about the Power -V- Grip, aka the Wonder Wedge. The PVG will transmit more energy, it fits in your hand, it is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by tim tennis
                          Hello Jonnyf,

Thanks so much for the kind words. So good to hear from you. I am not a great man, just have a great product, I got lucky. A lot of people have shared with me fantastic stories about how they found out about the Power -V- Grip, aka the Wonder Wedge. The PVG will transmit more energy, it fits in your hand, it is that simple.

Anytime, i like to speak for things i believe in and ive just reimbursed belief in the Power-V-Grip. Id talk about any product that can return my fh back to what it should be

Comment

How timely

Originally posted by gzhpcu
                            How timely, that is one of the most frequently asked questions and maybe one of the main reasons why a lot of people will not even try it. It is timely because I was watching Nadal today trying to pick something up from his mechanics and I noticed he does not spin his racquet. I was shocked because most players do. I did notice he would make little minor changes in his hand position while waiting for the serve but he did not spin his racquet. My usual response to that question is spinning the racquet in your hand is a totally useless and non functional habit, which may be a little harsh.

I think a more beneficial habit would be to move you hand back and forth from the Continental grip and your forehand grip while waiting for the serve but not spinning the racquet, kind of like Nadal does. While doing this you can visualize/plain your return depending on what kind of serve you get. If you get a weak serve you have already practiced moving your hand to your power forehand and will be ready to crunch the return.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyf
                              Yeah, alot of people have releaving tactics. Djokovic bounces the ball about 17 times before serve for the same reason, name a top pro and their is like a 90% chance they have a "routine" to calm the nerves. Imo the wonder wedge WILL for a period get in the way BUT it is something that can be rectified and if you feel that you like the WW from your mate's racquet enough to try it on your own racquet (which i'd reommened you DO do) then you will find a way around it but again it's totally up to you
                              gzhpcu

If you have already tried the PVG and you "liked it" I would also recommend you at least give it a try. I don't know how long you hit with it but a lot of people struggle with it at first. Some times it takes them a while to "tame" all that leverage and traction, but once they do they love it. If you did fairly well to start with that tells me you move your hand pretty well on the handle now. Most people don't go all the way over to the grips they think they are using. With the PVG attached your hand will move all the way over to the grip you are trying to find. This causes a lot of people to close the racquet face on both the SW and the Cont. grip as a result they will net a lot of balls until they figure out how to change their mechanics to get the ball over the net. Sometimes this sparks the "Process," as I call it. That is when people fall in love with experimenting with new grips and swing paths. This is when they realize just how much they can improve. That is what makes the game so much fun. That is what makes this site so great. Oh baby, it is right there in front of you. All you have to do is just reach out.

On the other "forum" there were some posts from avid PVG users who said they did struggle with the strange feel while spinning their racquet with the PVG attached. Some just quite spinning their racquet, some learn to spin it differently or just get used to the feel of the PVG while spinning their racquet.

Best regards,

Ed
                              Last edited by tim tennis; 06-05-2006, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7800 users online. 6 members and 7794 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X