Tim Henman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Henman

Tim Henman, in my opinion, is a great model to copy on the forehand. He's one of the few players in the stroke archieve with a classical grip structure, along with Pete, Federer, and Paradorn. However, I don't think Tim's stroke is nearly as complex as either Pete's or Federer's. In my mind, Tim's forehand basically combines the comparatively simplistic backswing of an Agassi with the classical Eastern grip. Definitely a good model for club players. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by lukman41985; 03-19-2005, 09:25 AM.

That you have made a very sensible comment...

Comment

He hits with a fairly straight arm which reminds me of Federer. I guess that's a function of grip? It would make a lot of sense for higher balls hit with an Eastern grip.

I agree, I like studying simple swings.

Comment

Originally posted by lukman41985 View Post
        Tim Henman, in my opinion, is a great model to copy on the forehand. He's one of the few players in the stroke archieve with a classical grip structure, along with Pete, Federer, and Paradorn. However, I don't think Tim's stroke is nearly as complex as either Pete's or Federer's. In my mind, Tim's forehand basically combines the comparatively simplistic backswing of an Agassi with the classical Eastern grip. Definitely a good model for club players. What do you guys think?
        I can't find a clear picture of his forehand grip. It is eastern for sure, but to me it looks closer to Federers forehand grip (extreme easter) then to continental.

I hope you know what I mean, 3rd bevel is wide, so the location of the index knuckle on it can vary slightly.

EDIT: sorry, I just realized this was an ancient post, don't know how I got to it

Comment

Classic Eastern...blast from the past!

Personally all of that jargon about bevels and index knuckles sort of confuses me...perhaps because I am left handed and I feel that I need a mirror to convert the lingo.

But anyways...just take your racquet in your left hand and look at the above video and study just exactly where Tim Henman is making contact with the ball and try to put the racquet in that exact position. Now place your right hand on the racquet and there you have it.

I think that it would be safe to say that seeing as Henman was a player who liked to get to the net at every opportunity his grip will be the conservative side of eastern...meaning strictly eastern without any extremity in its placement. Normally that means that the V that your forefinger and thumb create is on the back bevel someplace. Everybody has different size hands and fingers so it is tough to match your grip precisely as someone else's.

That is an old post...which does not necessarily make it irrelevant. There are some great threads from the past on the forum. lukman41985 contributed 474 posts in the past...good stuff too.
          Last edited by don_budge; 11-28-2011, 11:36 AM.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

~

It's a good looking forehand for club players that will keep them in their place. Not much body turn in any direction! Sorry to be so ornery, but as to lukman's statement about the simplicity of Agassi's backswing: Oh my golly, Andre takes his straight arm way out to the right and then it veers back into his body transforming into double-bend-- complicated as hell!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8328 users online. 4 members and 8324 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X