header
  • You have been logged out of the forums. Please logout of our main site then login again on our home page. You will be automatically logged into the forums again.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I play tennis - Suzanne Lenglen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I play tennis - Suzanne Lenglen

91 years ago! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_90PPjyGBgk
    Regards, Phil

Incredible footage...

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I posted this same video some time ago. I think it's the most extraordinary footage I have ever seen. I just love the way she makes a post out of her flank to hit the backhand smash. The clip is a treasure, it really is.
    Stotty

Comment

The backhand smash at 10:27 is poetry in motion.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

-leading to a real backhand "smash"- (in "slow-motion&quot

I particularly like the caption as well…"-leading to a real backhand "smash"- (in "slow motion")

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        The backhand smash at 10:27 is poetry in motion.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        Exquisite…sublime! It puts GeoffWilliams' backhand smash (read high backhand volley) to shame.

https://www.google.se/?gws_rd=ssl

Comment

When I was in my early twenties, I was playing in a club in Lugano (which I wrote about), and the founder, Lee Born, who was then in his 80's, absolutely adored Susan Lenglen and used to tell endless stories about her.

Here is Lee as I knew him, a great Belle Epoque character full of tall tales about tennis...
          Regards, Phil

Comment

When I was in my early twenties, I was playing in a club in Lugano (which I wrote about), and the founder, Lee Born, who was then in his 80's, absolutely adored Susan Lenglen and used to tell endless stories about her.

Here is Lee as I knew him, a great Belle Epoque character full of tall tales about tennis...
            That's nice photo of Lee. What racket is that he's holding, a Spalding?
            Stotty

Comment

Could be...

Here is another clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R46QFVGCZYk
              Regards, Phil

Comment

Could be...

Here is another clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R46QFVGCZYk
                She is amazing and just loves the camera. She is deliberately making poses for the camera. The press must have loved her back in the day. I imagine her strokes during matchplay against worthy opponents were less dramatic.
                Stotty

Comment

Lee Born used to say that Lenglen's father wouldn't let her compete until she was able to hit 1000 balls in a row against a wall without error...
                  Regards, Phil

Comment

What was true then... is still true now!

When people come in to the shop to sign up themselves or their children to learn to play tennis, I tell them that if they want to learn to play, they better make friends with a wall somewhere. While the game may have changed, this axiom still holds as well now as it did 100 years ago.

don

Comment

Phil,
                      Love the pic.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 371 users online. 21 members and 350 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,830 at 04:47 PM on 12-17-2019.

Working...
                      X