The Wall...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wall...

…this thread terminated. Originally meant to be a post in the "Donald Trump for President" thread (see post #242). I am not sorry for your inconvenience and suggest posts advocating using "The Wall" as a time proven training method for tennis technique.
    Last edited by don_budge; 05-28-2016, 10:23 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

The Wall…Pink Floyd

Might as well make the best of it…making lemonade out of lemons. A sweet drink from a bitter fruit.

The Wall…Pink Floyd (1977)

The Wall is a rock opera that explores abandonment and isolation, symbolised by a metaphorical wall. The songs create an approximate storyline of events in the life of the protagonist, Pink, a character based on Syd Barrett as well as Roger Waters, whose father was killed during the Second World War. Pink is oppressed by his overprotective mother, and tormented at school by tyrannical, abusive teachers. All of these traumas become metaphorical "bricks in the wall". The protagonist eventually becomes a rock star, his relationships marred by infidelity, drug use, and outbursts of violence. As his marriage crumbles, he finishes building his wall, completing his isolation from human contact.

Hidden behind his wall, Pink sinks into a deep depression. In order to get him to perform, a doctor medicates him. This results in a hallucinatory on-stage performance where he believes that he is a fascist dictator performing at concerts similar to Neo-Nazi rallies, at which he sets brownshirts-like men on fans he considers unworthy. Upon realizing the horror of what he has done, Pink becomes overwhelmed and wishes for everything around him to cease. Showing human emotion, he is tormented with guilt and places himself on trial, his inner judge ordering him to "tear down the wall", opening Pink to the outside world. The album turns full circle with its closing words "Isn't this where ...", the first words of the phrase that begins the album, "... we came in?", with a continuation of the melody of the last song hinting at the cyclical nature of Waters' theme.

The album includes several references to former band member Syd Barrett, including "Nobody Home", which hints at his condition during Pink Floyd's abortive US tour of 1967, with lyrics such as "wild, staring eyes", "the obligatory Hendrix perm" and "elastic bands keeping my shoes on". "Comfortably Numb" was inspired by Waters's injection with a muscle relaxant to combat the effects of hepatitis during the In the Flesh Tour, while in Philadelphia.
    don_budge

Comment

The Wall…Torben Ulrich

La Balle au Mur…The Ball and the Wall. Torben Ulrich.
      don_budge

Comment

The Berlin Wall…disappeared in 1989

Yet the Cold War still persists…why?

Winston Churchill once said that generals are always preparing for the previous war. I would add: including the cold war. In fact, not only generals but politicians and political analysts do that too. They are scaring the world over modern Russia, still seen as the USSR.Many people, including me, looked back at Cuba with nostalgia when America deployed missile-defense system elements in Romania. The Cuban Missile Crisis also started with a deployment of missiles aimed at the USSR — in Turkey. Our symmetric response redrew the world map.

Remember the Cuban Missile Crisis?
        don_budge

Comment

Fits right into any consideration of Donald Trump, I'd say.

Comment

A physical wall is relatively nothing compared to a psychological wall. I need no wall in my garden to keep my dog from straying. I've built a psychological wall so strong that he will not cross a certain line...even for next door's cat. Now that is a strong wall.

The Berlin wall still exists, or at least it takes little provocation to instantly erect again. East v West...never the twin shall meet, not really. The psychological barrier is enormous.

Interesting thread. We can really go places from here.
            Stotty

Comment

Thank you garage wall....

But it's thanks to a physical wall that I became a good volleyer. I spent hours volleying against my garage wall. Ten to the forehand, ten to the backhand, then five one side and five the other, then alternating...getting closer and closer to the wall to test my sharpness and timing...hour after hour, day in day out.

I should thank my garage wall from the bottom of my heart.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                But it's thanks to a physical wall that I became a good volleyer. I spent hours volleying against my garage wall. Ten to the forehand, ten to the backhand, then five one side and five the other, then alternating...getting closer and closer to the wall to test my sharpness and timing...hour after hour, day in day out.

I should thank my garage wall from the bottom of my heart.
                The wall is a great practice partner. Had many epic rallies and 'Wimbledon championship points' were played against the wall.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7654 users online. 10 members and 7644 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X