No announcement yet.

Interactive Forum June 2016 Sam Groth Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John do we have any ideas to why some players don't get the full pronation on the serve? is it because they do something else wrong that causes this? I thought if you have the right swing path you will naturally have full internal rotation.

Comment

Kyle,

HA!

Comment

Jeremy,

It's an interesting question. It's like the followthrough on the groundstrokes. The followthrough insures that the racket is traveling at the right speed and in the right direction at contact.

On the serve you want that rotation maximized as you move into contact. But by focusing on finishing the rotation--what I call the extension position on the serve, you increase the chance that the rotation will be faster at the key moments.

Comment

thank you John

Comment

J93, good question.
            JY, well put.
            Thanks.

Klcr, haha, too late for Ivan...it's funny, i have some stills of Lendl from 1981 or 1982, showing pretty full internal shoulder rotation on the overhead and the serve! For a guy who did not use a great deal of lower body power, he had a large serve in his day.

Comment

Originally posted by maxply View Post
              J93, good question.
              JY, well put.
              Thanks.

Klcr, haha, too late for Ivan...it's funny, i have some stills of Lendl from 1981 or 1982, showing pretty full internal shoulder rotation on the overhead and the serve! For a guy who did not use a great deal of lower body power, he had a large serve in his day.
              Ivan can still blast the ball. He often hits down here in the Boca/Delray area, especially when he was gearing up for the champions tour against McEnroe a few years back. One of my friends and former colleagues was his practice partner. My friend said it was terrifying coming to the net against him as he would absolutely bludgeon the ball right through you. The power of shot was extraordinary, and it still is today.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                Ivan can still blast the ball. He often hits down here in the Boca/Delray area, especially when he was gearing up for the champions tour against McEnroe a few years back. One of my friends and former colleagues was his practice partner. My friend said it was terrifying coming to the net against him as he would absolutely bludgeon the ball right through you. The power of shot was extraordinary, and it still is today.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                I have never seen a ball struck as hard as when Lendl unleashed his biggest forehands...even with those small rackets. He was utterly ruthless and would think nothing of tubing an opponent if it proved the best shot to play in the given moment. Damn near killed McEnroe once....
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                  I have never seen a ball struck as hard as when Lendl unleashed his biggest forehands...even with those small rackets. He was utterly ruthless and would think nothing of tubing an opponent if it proved the best shot to play in the given moment. Damn near killed McEnroe once....
                  I think Lendl said, when asked about that, said something like no one makes him come to the net. I always liked Lendl as a player, and I like him as a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    I think Lendl said, when asked about that, said something like no one makes him come to the net. I always liked Lendl as a player, and I like him as a coach.
                    kinda like this...
                    Hitting Emilio
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwD2XuhqLg8

Hitting Vitas
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLRx2TACIKA

and of course...Hitting McEnroe
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APSSYwd3Jos

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Those were the good old days.

Comment

I remember an episode after that famous "knockdown" of McEnroe where they were in point that ended up with the same kind of "opportunity" for Lendl. As Lendl set up on the forehand and initiated his swing, McEnroe just dove on the court. Lendl then just softly hit the ball over McEnroe into the court.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8027 users online. 6 members and 8021 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X