First look at backhand after season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First look at backhand after season

This is my first time looking at my backhand basically since the beginning of the high school season.

It feels a lot better and more fluid. I have found balance to be a big key. It is good enough now that I don't feel like going to a one hander any more. However I still do have those moments where it feels super awkward.

Do you guys have any recommendations for further improvement?
    Last edited by eaglesburg; 06-12-2016, 11:35 AM.

It looks better. The one thing I think I see is the contact could move forward. Can't really see the hitting arm config from that angle and resolution. The back arm doesn't really look straight which is fine and tends to go with contact a bit further back--nonetheless I would focus on that. Hit some one handers and try to get it more infront. Hit some left handed forehands and do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      It looks better. The one thing I think I see is the contact could move forward. Can't really see the hitting arm config from that angle and resolution. The back arm doesn't really look straight which is fine and tends to go with contact a bit further back--nonetheless I would focus on that. Hit some one handers and try to get it more infront. Hit some left handed forehands and do the same.
      Will do. I'm pretty sure the back arm is bent. I think the late contact is partially because of that super wide stance I use which is much wider than I see Djokovic, Murray, etc using. Hitting the one handers and especially the left forehand should help because my stance narrows on the lefty forehand. And yeah will make sure I concentrate on earlier contact.
      Last edited by eaglesburg; 06-14-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

You are right about the stance! Do this work on hitting open stance and getting well aligned off the back foot--not that this will be the norm but if you can feel that back leg setup it will help with the spacing with the front foot step.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          You are right about the stance! Do this work on hitting open stance and getting well aligned off the back foot--not that this will be the norm but if you can feel that back leg setup it will help with the spacing with the front foot step.
          For once, some of my own analysis was right!
          Last edited by eaglesburg; 06-14-2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

You know more about your strokes than 99% of the posters at TW.

Comment

i made the change from bent bent to straight straight and the key with the left arm for me was a few things

1. ensuring the right arm was straight
              2. unit turn
              3. watch rick maccis video on how all male 2h bh prepare in two phases - your first phase is too slow
              4. have the left arm straight at the start of the forward swing

Last edited by bowt; 06-14-2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowt View Post
                i made the change from bent bent to straight straight and the key with the left arm for me was a few things

2. unit turn
                3. watch rick maccis video on how all male 2h bh prepare in two phases - your first phase is too slow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIWWS6j41Rs
                These are some very nice looking tennis strokes to view, surpassed only by the beautiful grass court from under which they are struck. Can you please pass on my compliments to the magnificent groundsman you have at the club.
                Stotty

Comment

2. unit turn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIWWS6j41Rs
                  Was there any specific reason you went to a straight/straight rather than bent/straight?

Also is the Rick Macci video on this site? I couldnt find any breaking down the preparation into two phases. Like this video only lays it out as one phase: http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/..._atp_backhand/
                  Last edited by eaglesburg; 06-15-2016, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Richard is on a mission to improve his backhand. He is trying to change his arms configuration at contact. Richard wants to have a stretched...

no reason just gravitated towards it

changing the grip was another one used a stronger top and bottom hand

Hey this is Richard

Not many people know that there are four different hitting arm configurations for the two-handed backhand. At the moment I hit with a bent/bent hitting arm configuration which is the 'left handed forehand' version. If I compare my backhand to previous footage my arms are significantly more extended, but my hitting arm are still bent. I want to hit my backhand with a straight/straight hitting arm configuration like andre agassi/andre vaz pinto (two great two handed backhands). Having the right arm straight in the preparation is an important aspect I feel when trying to hit with this hitting arm configuration so im going to try work on that. Its difficult to play competitive tennis while changing your backhand so drastically!

Another massive element in my backhand is what my left foot does! It points towards the net rather than being at 45 degrees - almost painful to watch!!!

was one of my comments when i was changing it

racquet face looks more closed as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJ3jvSr3iY bh now
                    Last edited by bowt; 06-17-2016, 02:31 AM.

Comment

http://andrevazpinto.blogspot.com.au...-backhand.html

no reason just gravitated towards it

changing the grip was another one used a stronger top and bottom hand

Hey this is Richard

Not many people know that there are four different hitting arm configurations for the two-handed backhand. At the moment I hit with a bent/bent hitting arm configuration which is the 'left handed forehand' version. If I compare my backhand to previous footage my arms are significantly more extended, but my hitting arm are still bent. I want to hit my backhand with a straight/straight hitting arm configuration like andre agassi/andre vaz pinto (two great two handed backhands). Having the right arm straight in the preparation is an important aspect I feel when trying to hit with this hitting arm configuration so im going to try work on that. Its difficult to play competitive tennis while changing your backhand so drastically!

Another massive element in my backhand is what my left foot does! It points towards the net rather than being at 45 degrees - almost painful to watch!!!

was one of my comments when i was changing it

racquet face looks more closed as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJ3jvSr3iY bh now
                      Really nice backhand!

And thank you for the advice too. I will try to put it to good use.

Comment

I have had some success moving the contact for farther in front. I have been adjusting my stance a little too to get my back leg behind the ball more and shorten the stance.
                        Another big thing is "staying down" which definitely helps because I typically pop up too early.
                        Finally I have noticed that I actually like hitting open stance backhands when I am pulled out wide....i'm not sure if they are more powerful or anything but they feel cleaner.

Here is me with contact further in front (stance unchanged):

But...It still looks quite awkward...there has to be something else big that I'm doing incorrectly. And also, I feel like given how much right hand dominant I am and how well I can hit a one hander, I should be able to straighten out my left arm or both arms on the two hander. Even when I try to swing using my right arm more the configuration doesn't change.

Thoughts? John and anyone else with advice

I wish the two hander was as simple as the forehand :/
                        Last edited by eaglesburg; 06-27-2016, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Full Turn with shoulders at bounce. Narrower stance. More upright posture.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9259 users online. 8 members and 9251 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X