X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin and the "Multiplier Effect"

John,
    In the Sampras Second Serve article, you state:

Preliminary results from new Advanced Tennis analysis indicate that Pete’s use of spin may actually create a kind of “multiplier effect” when the ball hits the court. High spin levels seem literally to change the way the ball bounces off the court in a way that makes the ball faster after the bounce than a ball hit with the same speed but less spin.

And in the Modern Forehand Shot Variation article, you state:

Is it possible that a less extreme pattern allow players like Sampras or Agassi to hit the ball as hard or harder while using less spin and less energy? Is it possible that a flatter ball with a flatter trajectory gets to the opponent a little sooner and therefore penetrates the court more easily-even if it's hit at the same speed?

What I want to ask you is: has your research shed any new light on these issues. I've checked out all the article in the Heavy Ball section and I didn't find anything that pertained to these questions. I'm interested about spin as a multiplier effect. Can we say that those that generate high speed and spin on groundstrokes are at an advantage over those that hit the same speed but less spin. Iskander would likely say yes. But how can we isolate spin from shot trajectory and arc. If Nadal and Federer, hypothetically, hit forehands that had the same speed and spin, but Nadal hit his at a higher arc, would Federer's be more effective? What combonation of grip, stance, arm/hand rotation, and shoulder rotation gives the heaviest forehand? Could it be that on slow clay, extreme semi-western grips, and all the spin they generate combined with modern racquet design that allows for lighter racquets and more racquet head speed, are the way to go and research supports it?

Wow...very, very intriguing questions.

Regards,
    Lukman
    Last edited by lukman41985; 11-11-2005, 12:46 AM.

Yes, good questions. None of which have been answered and are not likely to be in the immediate future. We have one study of serve that we'll be putting up in the next few months that sheds some light, and we will be adding more spin data on Federer and Nadal among others.

The speed/spin/trajectory thing is very complex. We do have an agreement with the Shot Spot people to analyze some of their incredible data. Theoretically if you could put the three together you might be able to quantify "heaviness." Definitely something we will be working toward.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8956 users online. 1 members and 8955 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X