Private Lessons: The Continental Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Lessons: The Continental Grip

I have just successfully switched from the continental grip, on both serve and (one-handed) backhand, to the eastern backhand grip. The eastern backhand grip has really helped improve the speed and placement of my serve and the grip allows me to hit out on returns and groundstrokes.

Now, in reading Kerry Mitchell's article about the continental grip, which I still use at net and on overheads, I find that I should possibly be using the continental grip for my slice backhand as well. I am quite fortunate to have a hitting partner and I have been able to make several rather significant changes over the past year or two.

Do you recommend using the continental grip to hit slice backhands and the eastern backhand grip to hit topspin and flat drives?

It just seems to me like a lot of grip changes (eastern backhand grip on the serve, continental grip at net, eastern forehand grip for all forehands, and continental grip for the slice backhand), doesn't it?

This website is tremendous for all of us visual learners! Thank you for helping me to better understand the game of tennis.

continental grip

Indix,
    With a one-handed backhand you will need both a continental grip for slicing and an eastern backhand grip for drives. It does seem like a lot of grips, but that is what is necessary to improve your game. Slicing with an eastern grip is ok as long as the ball doesn't get too low, but that is one of the main reasons why you use a slice is to hit low balls. Supporting the racket head on low balls is almost impossible to do with an eastern grip (the face will be too closed). With an eastern grip the racket head will also be below your wrist when you make contact causing the ball to deflect up and to the left (right hander). The continental grip allows the face to be open the right amount and the racket head to be supported at the same time.
    All great one-handers of today's game use both types of backhand grips. Even at an intermediate level learning different types of grips is a necessary evil if you want to have a complete game.
    Before I get a lot of replies from players who use just a continental grip on their backhand let me say that it is possible to use a continental grip for both a slice and a drive backhand, but it is tough drive the ball with any type of consistency with the speeds and heights of today's balls even at a intermediate or low advanced level.
    You won't see any players like Rosewall or McEnroe (who hit their backhands exclusively with a continental grip) anytime soon on the pro tour.
    Thanks,
    Kerry.

Comment

Continental Grip

Thanks Kerry. I will begin adjusting my slice backhand grip in my hitting sessions. I have one tomorrow morning at 5:45 AM!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8498 users online. 7 members and 8491 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X