Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forehand Backswing

Hi John,

At some point during the forehand, but before contact, a stretch needs to be established across the chest and shoulder so that body rotation can pull the arm forward into contact, right?

The backswing is going to position the arm in a way that either facilitates or complicates achieving this stretch. Basically, the further back you bring your elbow, the better you are setting up for the stretch because there will be less distance your arm will need to move for the stretch to be established. To me, this seems more efficient and simple, but it also increases the size of the backswing.

I'm working on memory here, but it seems that most pros position their elbow up near shoulder level and have it pulled back which is the same position I'm referring to. If I'm not being clear about what I'm describing, I can look for some video clips to show it.

The reason I ask is because I've been experimenting with smoothing out my swing and slowing it down. The backswing I describe above seems to facilitate that, and it seems that a bigger backswing would make more sense with a slower and smoother swing.

What are your thoughts? Am I getting into too much detail again?

Thanks,
    Vin

Not sure about the "Stretch." You might want to reread the article in Advanced Tennis on the backswings.

Basically no two players look the same. This indicates to me that the actually shape is more style than fundamental. The left arm stretch--that's critical. Getting the racket into the hitting arm position to start forward, the same. Keeping the right hand on the right side is about the only commonality.

Comment

I reread it and realized my backswing is similar to Haas' in the Killer Forehand clip. Compact, racket on edge, and more side to side. But I don't close the racket face towards the end like he does, I keep it on edge the whole time. I guess that doesn't mean much but I still found it interesting. I think I may have developed an efficient backswing from being late too often. :mrgreen:

I guess I'll leave my backswing alone and just make sure I'm not bringing my hand behind my body.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

If you are late you are probably late starting your turn.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4775 users online. 11 members and 4764 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X