Specific exercise for serve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific exercise for serve?

I compliment my tennis with workouts in my gym, about 5 times a week. I was wondering, are there any specific exercises to increase the explosiveness of the arm movement on the serve? Thanks

Overall upper body strength, but also flexibility would be the key. This means upper pecs, delts, and triceps. Between the Roetert and Etcheberry articles, there is a very full compliment of exercises. But don't forget the stretches--Roddick and Sampras and all top players have ultra flexible shoulders. If you are tight you can't make the key pro drop position.

One more great exercise is to take a 5 pound dumdbell and just replicate the serve motion is super slow motion. You can increase (or decrease) the weights as is appropriate.

Comment

Thanks John!

Comment

Shoulder rotation

Bruce Elliot in his landmark 3D biomechanical studies identified that internal rotation of the shoulder accounts for 54 percent of the racquet head velocity in power serves. Many exercise physiology studies have also shown significant increases in serve velocity with internal/external shoulder resistance exercises. I found a good link on the web that demonstrates many exercises for the shoulder joint. These are also excellent for injury prevention and increased Range of motion which John suggested.

GR

Comment

Taken from exrx.net, here are the muscles involved in internal rotation.

Pectoralis major (sternal head)
          Pectoralis major (clavicular head)
          Latissimus dorsi
          Deltoid (anterior)
          Subscapularis
          Teres major

In Pat Etcheberry's new DVD series, he suggests pullovers and medicine ball throws on a decline ab bench for helping the serve. He actually claims that the medicine ball exercise will add 10 - 15 mph to your serve.

The pullovers also double as a good stretching exercise.

Here's what a pullover is if you don't know:

And most important, don't forget about your rotator cuff. Some of the exercises in Greg's link will help keep it strong.

Comment

Thanks for the links!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8059 users online. 5 members and 8054 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X