Cross court patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross court patterns

After reading all the great articles in the "Strategy" section, I had a chance to experiment this morning in a singles match.

Amazingly, I had never, in all the matches I've played against this friend, tried to see what would happen if I just kept a backhand rally going. I was scared to death to try it, because I just *knew* something horrible would happen - like maybe he would invent some new shot that I had never seen. Surely he would at least quickly go down the line on me for a winner.

To my utter amazement, he kept the backhand rally going as long as I did. Then, just like the articles said, he would eventually land one short, and then I could crack a backhand up the line for a winner!

Even better, after reading all the great stuff on the site, I found myself *thinking* after each lost point about what I had done and how I could correct it rather than getting emotional and down on myself. I was actually (eventually) able to correct most of the errors that I was making and make the necessary changes. I've only rarely been able to use my brains on the court. Looks like tennis is getting ready to be a whole lot more fun.

Kevin
    Last edited by mntlblok; 01-07-2006, 07:01 PM. Reason: typo

The diagonals and just a bit more

Kevin-

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad it helped and that you are thinking more on the court. I am often astonished at how many people devour the stroke archives searching for the perfect technique, but neglect the strategy sections of this site. Pros have many different ways of hitting the ball (although many commonalities which must be learned), however there is a finite number of tactical ploys one can use in the game. Mastery of a diagonal and learning some basic patterns can go a very long way in winning matches. I can attest to several junior national champions that played basic baseline tennis using 3 patterns for the entire tournament. It is almost depressing to see the lack of strategy even at the highest junior level. I wish more people would see the light. Best of luck in developing your game.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

I share your astonishment. Unforunately I think really understanding and trying to play patterns is the exception at all levels.

It's part of the difference between playing tennis and actually being a tennis player.

It's easier to look for a magic bullet in the stroke archive, and then when that doesn't work, look for another--and then another one after that, ad infinitum.

Really committing to the strategic (and mental) aspects of the game is too emotionally risky for most players--because it would strip away the excuse of faulty technique and force a player to confront himself, his real ability level on the court, and his willingness to really put himself on the line. (And usually the unwillingness to put himself on the line...)

I have a friend who has taken a lesson a week for 20 years, plays regular seniors tournaments, but absolutely cannot hit a crosscourt backhand. When you warmup with him you have to stand in the forehand doubles alley to warmup your own backhand. He rarely wins a match, but continues to work on his "technique."

So yeah even a rudimentary mastery of patterns is the most obvious but least utilized path to make a huge jump in your results. The good news is that some players do have the guts and commitment to pursue it. And they are going to have their way with the rest.

John

Comment

John and Craig,

What you say really hits home. I've obsessed on technique for too long and have been trying to shift my focus to strategy. I probably have the best looking 3.5 game you've ever seen and I hate it! It's frustrating to be accused of sandbagging when you're really not!

I'd love to have one or two patterns to develop and base my game on, but I'm a bit lost in terms of what to choose.

I am an aspiring all court player with my strengths being serve and forehand. I say aspiring because my net game could use some work and I pretty much have no drop shot, but I can play both offense and defense pretty well. How much I come to the net typically depends on who I'm playing.

I most often attack backhands with my forehand, but I tend not to do so well with this when I'm dealing with a slicer. I also think I need be more strategic about attacking the weakness rather than just getting the ball deep to it which is why I'm interested in patterns.

So, any suggestions on a pattern or two?

Thanks,
        Vin

Comment

Yeah try fh to fh and inside. But Craig??

Comment

Go Win Vin!!

OK VIN--

Here we go. If your opponent's forehand is stronger, play forehand to forehand. If you are stronger in that rally, wait for him to miss. If it is equal, you have two choices. Either you will take a ball you can control, hit a forehand angle, and then finish down the line; (I would suggest doing this when you feel you should be playing aggressively) or, you will stay in the forehand rally and when your opponent hits down the line, you will hit a backhand angle and take him way off the court, and finish with an inside in forehand. THis is a much more conservative pattern as you are primarily using crosscourt shots and waiting for your opponent to do something before atttacking.
            Now, once you have those two patterns mastered, an opponent will begin to read that you are taking his drive down the line and consistently rolling a backhand angle. Thus, every once in a while, hit your backhand back down the line behind him and follow it in as you catch him off balance.
            That is 3 basic patterns for you.
            I will add a bit more here, and if you need it explained further, check my article this month.
            Get into your inside out pattern, your forehand against your opponent's backhand. Stay in that rally until you have a ball that is more towards the middle before you try attacking inside in. Or, you can simply wait until your opponent tries to get out of that rally by hitting down the line. Then go ahead and rip a forehand crosscourt aggressively and you will be playing the exact pattern a guy named Sampras used, to win multiple slams.
            Let me know how it works out and thanks for a truly strategic question!!!

Craig

Comment

Thanks guys, that gives me plenty to work on. Especially the angled backhand!

Is there a serving strategy I should use to set up my forehand to initiate these patterns? I typically just serve to the backhand to force an error or a weak reply. Is that the best thing to do? Or should I be serving to the other side of the box more often to increase the chances of getting a ball on the forehand side even though it may be a better return?

And for returns, is it better to change direction if necessary to initiate the pattern, or be more patient for a better opportunity? I'm guessing the latter, especially since my returns can be shaky. I guess it also depends on the serve being inside or outside, right? I'll have to revisit Wardlaw's book.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8023 users online. 6 members and 8017 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X