Racket drop on the serve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racket drop on the serve?

Any thoughts on how to get a really good racket drop on the serve? When I do the serve motion slowly in front of the mirror, I get a lower drop than when I serve.

That would be hard to answer without looking at video of your motion. It could be a lack of flexibility or it could be the pattern of the wind up. Although top players with abbreviated motions (like roddick) or semi-abbreviated motions (like federer or Pete) have great drops I have found that most club players do much better with a pendulum or circular windup like Philippoussis or Mac. But again impossible to really answer without your video.

Comment

OK John, I emailed you a short video clip.
      Thanks

Comment

John,
        I tried out the Philippousis backswing as you suggested today, and immediately my serve had more power/spin and bounced higher. I was able to change it rapidly, because I used to do this backswing, and then, for some reason, wanted to go over to the abbreviated backswing. I had lost some power in the process, but was searching for other reasons. Now I realize the new backswing was the problem. The bigger backswing gives me a better rhythm and more powerful acceleration path. I assume the racket drop is better too. I haven't videotaped it yet, but have the feeling it is working.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8003 users online. 7 members and 7996 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X