?small wrist loop in agassi's backhand return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?small wrist loop in agassi's backhand return

A question about the use of the wrist in two handed backhands using Agassis's return ( I looked at first serve returns in the archive) as an example--

It strikes me that Agassi's first move is the unit turn as you have described. This pulls the racket back so that it is facing approx 45% to the baseline.

Then , to develop racket momentum it seems to me that he uses a wrist action to generate momentum to go forward. This wrist action pulls the racket back to 90% ( perpendicular ) to the baseline.

If I am correct then the sequence of events on twohanded backhands is as follows:

1)Unit turn with some pulling back of shoulder ( gets the racket back to about 45%

2)if there is time for a full prep-- int rotation of the forearms ( as you have descibed) to get the racket back to about 90%

3) a quick wrist loop to generate tremendous racket head speed.

For the return if there is limited time ( like the Agassi first serve returns) the sequence is :

Just

1) unit turn
    2) wrist loop

Is this correct or is my eye deceiving me and I'm mistaking wrist
    movement for forearm rotation?

If it is correct then are you incorporating the wrist loop in your coaching-- specifically on the return?

It seems to me that the wrist loop is the fastest way to change the direction of the racket from going back in the prep to going forward in the hit.

Looking forward to your comments,

Glenn

I think it is arm rotation. If you look closely, it is very difficult to see any independent wrist movement.

It's true on the return as well.

Personally I like to teach straight back no arm rotation. The key positions are the most important. If you get to a fairly high level then you can think about the rotation. Agassi has the tip up as the hands go straight back--then the forearm rotation takes it down.

I'd be careful about throwing terms like momentum and tremendous acceleration around. We don't really know the numbers on these things. But what studies I have seen show that there is very little acceleration until just a few frames before contact. Personally I think it's a matter of rhythm and movement into key positions that facilitate that burst of acceleration right before contact. I don't think the building speed over distance model is a great description of the strokes although I could end up being wrong. More data will say.
    Last edited by johnyandell; 01-31-2006, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9619 users online. 4 members and 9615 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X