Microfibers; Flexibility; Somax Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microfibers; Flexibility; Somax Sports

Some of you might be familiar with this company called Somax Sports (www.somax.com) based in Marin County near San Francisco and their President, Bob Prichard, who claims that they can dramatically improve an athlete's flexibility, way more efficiently than stretching can. In fact, the President of the company just recently wrote an article on another competing tennis website which explained how flexibility can help serving power, etc. I realize that this guy is not a true tennis expert as he is more of an exercise physiologist so I don't agree with all of his analysis related to tennis (although I do agree with a lot of it), but I don't have the background or ability to debunk his analysis regarding physiology, sports medicine, etc which is his primary field of expertise. This does appear to be a very legitimate organization as even golf coach David Ledbetter's son went to Somax and, according to an article in Golf Digest, dramatically improved his flexibility in 5 days to the point where he could touch his knee to his chin through this microfiber reduction treatment. Mr. Prichard's theory is that lack of flexibility is based almost entirely on microfiber (connective tissue between muscles) buildup and that removing the microfibers is the best way, by far, to improve flexibility.

Here are my questions. (1) Do the tennisplayer.net conditioning experts on this forum such as Etcheberry, Roetert, Yandel, etc. agree with Somax's theories (assuming that they've ever hear of or studied them) that this form of massage can dramatically reduce microfibers which can dramatically improve flexibility; (2) If so, why can't anybody else besides Somax sports learn to do this type of massage work and at less than $300 per hour? (3) Do you have any thoughts on the company's contention that strength training (particularly weight training) is a mistake because it dramatically increases microfiber build up which reduces flexibility which reduces the athlete's ability to move efficiently?

I believe that this is a critically important subject because the company and it's president, Bob Prichard, appear to be very bright and well-regarded even by professional athletes who use his treatment, and if he is correct in his theories as well as his successes, then this should turn the sporting world entirely on its head and everyone should be focussing on this microfiber reduction expertise which would be much more helpful than all of the strength training experts and stretching experts out there who appear to be in the great majority. In other words, if we (including all of the professional athletes) would be much better off getting our microfibers reduced than spending all this time on strength training, stretching, etc. then we should all like to know this, wouldn't we?

Con artist

I took a look at this website and was appalled. No one has expertise in all of these sports and should not be able to charge these ridiculous rates. He might be a great swim coach, but stick to swimming (not enough money in that sport?). Microfiber reduction (patented?) is another word for myofascial release that has been practiced by massage therapists for years. All of this garbage about hip rotation being the magic bullet for sports performance is nonsense. Measuring joint angles from the TV set is pathetic. You can't measure a multiplanar joint (external rotation) from a 2 dimensional view and especially from different camera angles. Who is this guy trying to scam, $300/hr to have him feel you up, no thanks. Nice analysis of tigers swing too, he should read Hogan's book or any other scientific golf literature before making incorrect claims about hip rotation in golf. And the Wimbledon analysis, I am so sure that Rodger beat Andy because he is an abdominal breather and has more hip flexibility. Claims of this magnitude are dangerous and should not be tolerated by the sporting community. His concept of external rotation on the serve has been in the scientific literature since the mid 80's (revolutionary) and he doesn't even sight a source. Be careful of any source that would publish this garbage. I am glad we don't read this crap on this site.

CL

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLefty
      Microfiber reduction (patented?) is another word for myofascial release that has been practiced by massage therapists for years.
      CL
      Thank you for your input CL. You obviously have a much stronger technical background or knowledge base than I have. I just did look up "myofascial release" and it does sound very similar to what Prichard is talking about because its goal is the same: to reduce the muscle's connective tissue. Do you have any sense that "myofascial release" massage can greatly enhance one's flexibility over time and that it is more effective than stretching alone?

Comment

I have just learned that related to myofascial release is another type of massage called "connective tissue massage (CMT)" which is probably close to what Prichard is talking about. Supposedly, this increases flexibility in the patient/athlete. I'm sure you can get it for less than $300/hr.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Comment

I don't have any first hand experience with Somax and Crazy Lefty is probably making some good points about measurements and dimensions.

I did catch the article on external rotation and would have to agree more is probably better. I'd like to think that the process whatever you may call it would help, but can't really say due to a lack of expertise and experience. I wouldn't mind knowing more.

Not sure that our guys like Pat or Raul Roetert are out scouring the web for new info or would have a better opinion, but I'll try to find out at some point.

My experience does teach me however that miracle cures and especially those with a dogmatic and/or stridently evangelical tone tend to promise more than they deliver.
          Last edited by johnyandell; 02-01-2006, 01:30 AM.

Comment

GMann,

I've come across that website also and had the same questions. I live on the other side of the country and don't have $300/hr to spend so I pretty much forgot about it.

While not the same, there's a form of deep tissue massage that you can do yourself to improve your flexibility and recover from and prevent injury. It's called trigger point therapy and you can read more about it here: www.triggerpointbook.com. This $20 book has been invaluable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by vmiller
              GMann,

I've come across that website also and had the same questions. I live on the other side of the country and don't have $300/hr to spend so I pretty much forgot about it.

While not the same, there's a form of deep tissue massage that you can do yourself to improve your flexibility and recover from and prevent injury. It's called trigger point therapy and you can read more about it here: www.triggerpointbook.com. This $20 book has been invaluable to me.
              vmiller,
              I discovered this therapy about 5 years ago. Find it great! Had golfer's elbow and tried physiotherapy. Did not good. Finally tried trigger point massage: it disappeared in 2 days...

Comment

Try Active Release Technique (ART) for myofascial maladies, but as far as increasing flexibility...look into Active Isolated Stretching by Aaron Mattis. Learn about the "stretch reflex"...that will guide you in the direction of stretching that is normal for the body, vs. all of the non-natural forms of stretching out there.

As for hip rotation being an indicator or proponent of sports success! Absolutely. Three of the greatest athletes on earth (Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Roger Federer) have enourmous hip rotator flexibility.

Agassi on the other hand has about the worst and he's about to have to end his career as a result. I'm 42 and because of ART and active isolated stretching I am able to continue playing at the same exertion level and mobility as I did as a college tennis player.

Comment

Western names for ancient techniques

I am so sick of western "Doctors" (a chiropractor is a bit of a stretch, no pun intended) putting a label on an ancient art and trying to sell you a book, video, CD, DVD or any other nonsense. Hatha yoga has been around for 5000 years and acupressure for at least 2000. I don't care what you call it but in terms of body work and stretching it has been done before. Please stop stealing a body of knowledge and trying to pass it off as being your intellectual property.

How do you measure hip rotation and how do the numbers for Tiger, Rodger and Mike compare to the average athlete?

Agassi is how old? Has had how many injuries in his career? Didn't he go to the final at the Open last year. Is arguably the best ball striker the game has ever seen. He might be stiff, but his hip rotation is anything but slow.
                  Bad example

CL

Comment

While I agree with CL that there is entirely too many “Doctors” that try to take advantage of anyone who thinks there is such thing as a quick fix, I would have to disagree with a little bit of what he seems frustrated with.
                    I would say that if we all had the time, it would be in our best interest to invest as much time as we can to study and understand yoga and acupressure to the point of being experts on our own body. But we don’t have that amount of time or patience. So, if there is someone who has invested the time to study a common element of a typical injury, and throws out a quick book to help us understand how we can help ourselves, then I am all for it. I agree that in almost every case, the author will not pay homage to the original sources, and it will always be considered a rip off by your standards. But until someone puts a patent on an entire body of work like yoga (which would never happen but would expire in five years anyway) then people are going to come up with some stupid acronym for their small plagiarism of it. And if i have that injury, i might buy it! Isn't that why i got a sleep number bed?

As for Agassi winding down his career with injury plagued seasons, I would chalk that up more to his focus shifting to a family and a life outside of tennis. If he spends as much time preparing for matches now as he did in his late twenties, early thirties, then maybe his body can handle the beatings that it takes playing four hours in 90 degree heat, on hard courts, against players half his age, and still making it to the final Sunday.

And you forgot to bring in Bonds for the greats with enormous hip rotator flexibility. Might as well, right?

Comment

Subject3

Friends I in shock from seen here phentermine, but here this in general limit to effrontery O-Gl...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 10154 users online. 6 members and 10148 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X