Game plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game plan

A friend of mine (ex-top US junior player) suggested I try the following game plan out:

My strongest shot being my forehand, he suggested basing my groundstroke exchanges as follows:

Basically never aim for the lines, just for the a, b, or c points. Even if not hitting a, b or c, the margin for error is much smaller, the ball should therefore be consistently in the court most of the time.

During backcourt rallies, always hit with good medium pace back to the center, aiming for b.

Once a short ball lands in the yellow area, hit a hard forehand aiming for practically all of the time for c, and then follow it forward and take a net postion. Once in a while, perhaps opt for a, but usually the attacking shot always goes to c.

I intend trying it out.

Any comments?

Hitting deep to the middle is a strategy that will make it more difficult for your opponent to beat you by hitting wide or hitting angles. Either he is forced to come up with a tougher angle or out rally you from the middle. Davenport used a similar strategy against Venus early in Williams's career, and it worked. I remember her beating her pretty badly at the U.S. Open with this strategy. It can work. But you have to keep it deep. If you leave a short ball hanging down the middle, watch out.

What you want, you're saying, is the short forehand. You said you want to hit that to point C. That's fine if the ball's hit short, but crosscourt to your forehand. Hitting down the line from there means you'll have the line covered. I should say that I'm assuming you're a righty. Say the above scenario doesn't happen. That would mean you'd be be approaching inside-out into your opponents backhand. Hopefully his backhand is weak because approaching off an inside forehand can be difficult because you have to hurry over to cover the line. Also, say your opponent has a good backhand lob, and plays it crosscourt. So your moving to the right, and then all of a sudden back to the left and maybe deep. Hopefully you can get back quick for that lob, because if you don't, you might be hitting one of the hardest shots in the game: the backhand smash. If you can hit a normal overhead, of course put it back into your opponents backhand corner.

I think if you get a short forehand you should maybe be hitting down the middle. Assuming your opponent has a strong forehand, he could hit some tough passes if you approach to that wing. Hitting deep down the middle takes away the angle. I've read, maybe here on tennisplayer.net, about how McEnroe felt he turned the corner in his match-ups against Lendl by approaching down the middle and taking away the angles available to Ivan. Also, you might remember how many times Sampras used to play those half-volleys safely, deep, and down-the-middle. Make sure the quality of that approach shot is good. Get the ball at the peak of it's bounce, hit with a level swing, so not too much topspin, and play it deep down the middle. Hitting flatter will produce a shot that stays lower, forcing your opponent to hit up more than he would have to if you gave him a spinnier ball.

For me, it seems, a lot depends on how strong your opponents backhand is. Do most of your opponents have competent backhands? What level do you play at? After thinking about that, then it's all about your footwork and how quickly you recognize that short ball and get there and hit it at it's peak. Look no further than Roger Federer. Fed seems to play most of his short forehands inside-out with incredible angle. Again, my opinion is to play it deep down the middle if your opponent has a competent backhand. I don't know if anyone in the world can produce those inside-out short forehands that Federer has with any sort of consistency, but go to the stroke archive and check out the clips of him hitting short forehands. Pay close attention to that explosive footwork and immediate recognition of the short ball. Read some of those great footwork articles here. Here's a couple I think you should really pay attention to:

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...steps_pg2.html (Pay close attention to that clip of Pete moving forward for the inner ball)

You also need to be comfortable making those level swings at the ball when approaching. Another avenue on the approach is the dip drive technique that was explained in Brett's recent article. Check that out (http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...orehands.html). I don't think most players, below the highest competitive levels, ever deal with balls that require you to hit from such a high contact point. Do you have to deal with that frequently? If so, the dip drive may work for you. Here's a couple of clips I think you should look at.

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...hortFront2.mov (Check out Pete's level swing and extension. Another thing to emulate is how he swings within himself and in balance. So often, I know I miss short balls because I swing so hard I throw myself off balance.)

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...levelFront.mov (Pete approaching down the line. Again, he's not swinging too hard. It's a level swing. The footwork is quick. After, he's in perfect position for a volley.)

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...hortFront3.mov (Tim's up there quick, under control, and with a nice level swing with good extension.)

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...ShortSide1.mov (Such quick recognition, such explosive footwork!)

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...ShortSide6.mov (A fairly level swing, but maybe even close to a dip drive. This is probably the best model for you to copy if you get short balls that require the dip drive. It's unlikely you deal with balls higher than this.)

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...LevelSide5.mov (Check out how quick he moves to get around this short ball and hit the forehand. You need this kind of agressive, explosive footwork!)

Let us know how it's going. Does what I say help at all. I hope so. By the way, thanks for the great diagram. It really made clear what you were saying. I'll also give your friend's strategy a try. Hopefully CraigC will jump in here as well!
    Last edited by lukman41985; 02-04-2006, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Not being in the U.S, I do not know what level my play relates to. I can only describe it roughly like this: I am 59 years old, have been playing tennis since the age of 12. Played tournaments in Switzerland for about 35 years. Best ranking was about number 200 in Switzerland when I was in my mid 30s. We have about over 200,000 ranked players. My ranking when I stopped playing tournaments 4 years ago, was about around the number 800 range. I play mostly with players in the 20 to 45 age range. These are regionally ranked players (between 500 and 4000). None of them are capable of consistently hitting crosscourt lobs off a fast down-the-line forehand hit to c. Strongest player off the backhand wing is 25 and hits a very hard, two-handed backhand, but only goes for passing shots, unable to lob.

Thanks for the links and comments. I just realized that I have never really been playing with any concrete game plan in mind and would like to experiment with it. Will inform as things proceed. Will take some time though to get the consistency ingrained....
      Last edited by gzhpcu; 02-04-2006, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming you like to volley, right Phil?

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
          I'm assuming you like to volley, right Phil?
          Yes, am more or less an all-around player. I play an aggressive game, am not a defensive player, so I actually do not like very long exchanges. On clay, I come to the net whenever I feel I can close out the point. Wondering if the game plan my friend suggested, actually doesn't imply that I have to run more than my opponent, since I am hitting to the center...

Comment

For Phil

Phil,

The concept of aiming up the middle certainly is likely to reduce your errors. My only concern is that you are giving your opponent the opportunity to dictate the points. Every player has a side they favor and a side they protect ( read this as hit the ball shorter, less pace, or less aggressively). By hitting up the middle, you take the angle from your opponent, but you give him the chance to hit his best shot every time. I understand that you desire to hit your forehand as often as possible. You are going to receive a very small number of forehands if you give your opponent the chance to drive to your backhand on every shot.

Here is my recommendation. If you are going to use your friend's gameplan, you should step into the inside out position and concentrate on target C. If your opponent hits an angle to your backhand, chip up the line and attack the net. If you are playing your opponent's forehand, then hit most of your shots to target A, forcing your opponent to change directions if he tries to find your backhand. Additionally, although it may prove a touch riskier, the more angle you create using your crosscourt forehand, (ideally driving your opponent into the doubles alley) the more difficult it is going to be for him to change directions.

Definitely do not forget target B. But, I suggest using it if your opponent finds your backhand. By hitting your backhand up the middle, slightly to his forehand side, you take no risk using your less favorable side, and you tempt your opponent to hit crosscourt to your forehand side.

So here is the gameplan:

Inside out shots go to target C if your opponent's backhand is lesser shot. Your finishing shot is struck to target A in this pattern.
            Forehands are hit to target A if your opponent's forehand is the lesser shot. Finishing shots go to target C in this pattern.

Use target B if your opponent finds your backhand, and hit it slightly to the forehand side of your opponent, thus tempting him to hit crosscourt to the larger part of the court. I DO NOT suggest hitting to target B using your forehand unless you are in a totally defensive position.

I need to add one caveat here. I am not quite sure of your playing level. If you believe that simply hitting up the middle is going to create a short ball, then go ahead and try it. Just understand that you are planning on hitting an approach shot and your opponent is standing in the middle of the court. That makes his passing shot a lot easier. Better to have him at least near the sideline at the moment you decide to attack.

Hope that makes sense and best of luck out there. Please feel free to send more questions on on the strategic part of the game. I believe it is highly neglected and the root of success at all levels.

CC

Comment

Thanks CC. Actually the reason I posted the game plan my friend suggested is because I did not really feel so comfortable with it. I did feel as you mentioned that my opponent can move me around more. I like the variant you suggested more, because I feel that it puts the opponent more under pressure, and is flexible in regards as to where his weakness is.

Maybe I can keep the original gameplan as a third variant for those type of players who do not like it when the ball is hit towards them in the middle. Some players hit better when on the move.

On my groundstrokes, I can hit with varying degrees of topspin (from high looping shots to low dipping shots, to moderate topspin drives), slice and, in addition (only on my forehand) flat with a slight bit of topspin (this is my power shot). I play with the Eastern forehand grip and the Eastern backhand grip. Continental for the flat or slice serve, Eastern backhand for the topspin serve.
              Last edited by gzhpcu; 02-06-2006, 01:52 PM.

Comment

So what we now have, depending on which side is weaker (whether right-handed or left-handed is now irrelevant), again the yellow area is the attacking area for the forehand:

and if can't handle down the middle, the original diagram.

Comment

I have modified the strategy somewhat. What gives me pretty good results when playing a righthander is to hit long mostly to c (and some b) from both wings with about 80% pace. Mostly topspin, but now and then interspersed with slice (especially against two-handed backhand players). When the ball is returned short, move forward and hit very aggressively, either short cross or down the line, depending on where the opponent is moving, and then going to the net, just in case. It works very well. Works great against pushers too. Since I am an aggressive player, thîs strategy cuts down my unforced errors (am not going immediately for a winner...), and am getting into a good rhythm.
                  As to my level of play, I looked at a conversion table, and my level corresponds to about 4.5 in the U.S.
                  Last edited by gzhpcu; 05-09-2006, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Umm.. Congraz you find a way to play "your game". Here is what I think:

Game plan based on
                    "Your level ability"
                    What kind of the shot is YOUR best shot or good at
                    What kind of the shot you can keep yourself safe or depent on?

"Opponent level ability"

What kind of the shot your opponent hit to you the most?
                    What kind of the shot your opponent good or bad at?

Base on this start build up your OWN game!! You will find yourself play much better and smarter tennis then anyone else out there.

And start working on the shot you really depent on to win the point or create a weapon to complete your goal!

Cheers

Comment

But what's so special about this strategy any ways? It's used mostly in 3.0, 3.5 levels, just hit to the backhand side and wait for the short ball. For playing against weaker player, in deduce court, block or slice the return to your opponent's backhand (assuming your opponent is serving to your backhand), anticipate a weak down the line or cross court. Mostly crosscourt if your opponent is any good. Move readily to the ad court for flat inside out forehand, this one should force a higher short ball return. If your opponent chooses to hit down the line (low percentage), you successfully forced error and you always have an open short cross court angle to attack. If your opponent hit crosscourt, depending of the quality of shot, you can either hit another flat crosscourt inside out forehand, or inside in winner. You can use this strategy when you serve in ad court out wide. This is the pattern Federer uses all the time.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8993 users online. 7 members and 8986 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X