Wayne Arthurs Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Arthurs Serve

Happened to watch Wayne Arthurs playing Davis Cup doubles against Switzerland yesterday. His serve was so effective. Any thoughts on the Wayne Arthurs serve? His serve looks a lot more effortless than Roddick's and still he is one of the best servers around. Smooth, does not jump much either.

Well, he has a pinpoint stance and incredible shoulder flexibility--great racket drop achieved the hard way with an abbreviated motion.

Comment

To me Arthurs is one on these top level servers like Roddick, Goran, Pete, and Tanner. His toss height is just past the point the point of contact, slightly higher than Tanner and Goran, about the same as Roddick. He can be dominant with his serve. I remember I was watching last year when he won his first ATP singles title. If he had a Roddick or Moya type forehand, he could have easily been a consistant top 10 player I think. He just did not have the consistant weapon to back up his huge serve, like Roddick's 1-2 punch, the serve and forehand. As I am sure you know, he has long been a top notch doubles player. I remember Sampras saying that he felt like Arthurs had the best serve in professional tennis. His 2nd is not much of a break from his 1st. His motion is about as smooth as it gets, his effort/reward ratio has to be about as good as it gets.

Comment

Mac Attack

Johnny Mac handled his serve well last night. What an entertaining match and display of artistry. All Arthurs could do was whine, as he always does, and get broken to lose the match. Mac hit a sick forehand topspin lob to break in the second set that was just awesome. I think they have a good shot at the title.

Happy 47th

CL

Comment

In case anyone is wondering that must have been at the SAP in San Jose. First round doubles, Mac and Jonas Bjorkman beat Arthurs and Huss, the second seed.

I was there too and the Crazy Lefty is right, for once at least. (Just kidding CL.) Mac was the best of the 4 players on the court last night.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7917 users online. 4 members and 7913 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X