Racket drop on the serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racket drop on the serve

I am working on the change you suggested John. It is getting better. Still needs to get lower, but I'll manage....

Before:

Now:

It is not easy to change the movement, but am working on it. When it gets real better, I will video it again.

That looks like a 20% gain! Increments my friend are good! You might try bringing the entire straight arm higher--like in the circle drill and then getting the drop with a higher elbow position.

Great to see the progress.

Comment

OK John, will try that out... thanks again!

Comment

Still do not have the full drop, but it is slowly improving:

Comment

You look almost like Roger but possibly more handsome. Great job at working step by step on your game Phil. You are an example and an inspiration.

Comment

The drop is improving slowly...

Since I am 60, I'm not as flexible as I used to be. But I can probably still manage a bit more...

Last edited by gzhpcu; 08-20-2006, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I love the process. Congrats Phil and keep going!

Comment

racquet drop

john you mentioned the circle drill to help the racquet drop . what is the circle drop? ll

Comment

Read the articles in Your Strokes on Paul Goldstein's serve--great example of it there.

Comment

Another small improvement:

Comment

Love it--you are starting to look like Sampras.

Comment

All thanks to your drill....

Comment

Congratulations Phil, on being able to improve your racket drop. It is inspiring to see others working on their game and making improvements. Spurs me on to do the same.

Looking the before & after pictures in your original post, the "before" version seems to be from a later stage of the serve motion. Your toes are just off the ground. That makes me think your gain may be even higher than these pictures who. Based on my limited experience watching videos of pros, the lowest point of racket drop is after the right shoulder has started moving up.

Comment

Thanks. It is surprising at times, how long it takes to make a change. The thing is to keep insisting. In this respect, using a video camera is essential!

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu
                              Thanks. It is surprising at times, how long it takes to make a change. The thing is to keep insisting. In this respect, using a video camera is essential!
                              Yeah it's amazing how deep in the brain our motions take their roots and are difficult to change. Video helps at least to remain humble, and this is essential in the learning process! Especially with such a complex movement as the serve, you always have the feeling you found the trick, but then you film it and you realize you improve only little by little... good job Phil !

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8729 users online. 1 members and 8728 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X