Areas of Improvment For Green Temperament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Areas of Improvment For Green Temperament

I read your article on the your temperament and your tennis and found it to be true to my personality and my playing style. I constantly work on game in any area it needs improvement. I think I'm well on my way to developing an all court game. But I was wondering if you could elaborate about the areas of improvement for such a player.

Areas For Improvement:
    Analysis Paralysis
    Overly Critical
    Private To A Fault
    Stubborn To a Fault

Hello Dexter??

Comment

Hi Sage...That Green Temperament Thing...

Hi Sage.

I'm Dominantly Green, too. However, when I first started playing some "teacher" who only knew one playing style taught me a very Red (aggressive serve and volley) game. So I'm just now learning to play more in tune with my Green Temperamanet, too. And oh, boy, oh, boy is it ever more fun to be out there playing your natural style.

The areas that you mentioned are common Grean shortcomings:

Analysis Paralysis
      Overly Critical
      Private To A Fault
      Stubborn To a Fault

I believe the best way for us Greens to get over all of those things that can hold our development back are really simple. We'll, they're simple to say...not necessarily to do.

It all boils down to practicing enough to build up the confidence in that all court game to be able to play without being too hard on yourself and too analytical during your play. At change overs you can think about your plan and your tactics a little to see if you need to adjust. Or after your matches you can figure out what went right or wrong and how to improve or how to take advantage of your opponent's weaknesses in the future, but during your matches, just let go a bit more.

Clear that analytical mind of yours and focus on your breathing or your strings or something between points. Otherwise the internal conversation might go "move back a step, move up a step, turn the shoulders more on the forehand, follow through more on the backhand, etc." You'll confuse yourself -- as I often do -- with information and analysis overload.

In other words, and I know this isn't easy because we're prefectionists by nature, but don't try so hard during your matches to be perfect. And save the analysis and criticism and all the rest of it for practice. Find a coach if you can who understands something about your Temperament and can "speak" your language. And do all the Green stuff at practice.

Then, when you go out to play a match, try to just let it go...at least as much as possible...and just PLAY. Have fun. Let a little of the Blue that's in you come out. Just go for it and enjoy it. Try to let go of being so mechanical and just see if you can get a rhythm and feel and flow going.

Then afterwards you can review and analyze your game and all the little technical details, adjust, practice what you need to practice, and get ready to play the next match with a little more "feel" and a little less "thought."

I know that sounds easy, but I also know it's not that easy. It takes time and patience. Luckily Greens have a lot of patience.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Let me know if you need more.

Dexter Godbey

Comment

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Comment

You're welcome. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Dexter Godbey

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4034 users online. 2 members and 4032 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X