Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Player Does Not Want Lessons

John,
    My Son Is A Nat. Ranked 16 Yr Old & Loves To Play Tennis & Win. However, He Does Not Want Private Lessons With The Club Pros Because They Ask Him To Do Things That Make Him Uncomfortable. He Works Very Hard With His Academy, Takes A Lesson Every Now & Then From His Coach (hand Fed), & Plays 2-4 Good Matches A Week. He Also Checks Out Some Of The Videos From Your Newsletters. I Don't Want To See Burnout, & I Believe In Enjoyment & Fun Along With Hard Work. Can He Still Improve & Reach His Potential If He Is Not Taking Alot Of Privates? What Course Would You Take In This Situation?
    Thanks.
    Joann Christian

That's a tough one. Is he getting what he and you feel is enough input from his academy? (Live in or...?) I can't have an informed opinion on that.

The funny thing though is that players always end up calling the shots--for better or worse. Either their instincts forward their development or they don't, but you can't make a tennis player or any kid really do what he is absolutely determined not to do--and if you force it, things backfire sooner or later. This is always a possible issue--coaching becoming a control battleground for deeper issues.

Robert Lansdorp has always told me that he thinks one lesson a week is plenty. I agree that the way to become a tennis player is to play tennis. Sure you need input, but too much is almost worse than too little. If the player doesn't believe and incorporate and make it his own, he won't reach his potential.

One other issue though is the connection between player and coach. Could be that he's just not connecting with certain coaches for whatever reasons. Maybe you could ask him to propose an alternative and see if he is more enthusiastic.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4795 users online. 10 members and 4785 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X