Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western- type Single Back Handers ?

Hi John ,

I just wanted to ask if you happen to have any clips of players who use western 1hbhs.

I've use one myself , and i dont really have any good materials to study besides some loose clips of kuerten on the net.

The few 1hbh you have in the archive are mainly eastern-type users , and i do notice the swing style and such is a little different.

Wondering if you could make any additions in future.

Especially interested in studying Gaudio's and Kuerten's.

There is a great Kuerten clip in the High Speed archive already. We are going to put Gaudio up next month. Not sure his grip is that extreme. But what about Gonzales and Henin? There are a hundreds of great backhand clips of them in the archive. Kuerten eventually we will have some more high speed clips.

Comment

Yea i did study some of henin's BH sir.

However i notice she takes quite a number of them on her backfoot.

I'm trying to incorporate a subtle "step in" from the front foot of a closed stance for my BH.

I didnt know gonzo used a western BH , hehe

Thanks again for the great site ^^

p.s Cant seem to see the kuerten clips in the high speed archive , were they taken down by any chance ?

Comment

I guess I just thought we put them up... We do have some more high speed footage of him that we plan to put up in early summer though.

Comment

Thanks a Bunch then.

I must say Gonza's BH is strikingly similar to kuerten now that i've taken notice

cheers ^^

Comment

Hey John,

What's your opinion on this grip?

Comment

You can probably guess right? It's great for Gonzo and Justine. Extremely difficult at lower levels.

Comment

Western backhand

I've mentioned here before that my backhand grip had wandered over past eastern without even knowing it. The index knuckle is over bevel number 8 (if I remember the numbering right and if 1 is the top one).

Once it was pointed out to me by an old pro, I realized that it was also 180 degrees from a semi-western forehand - or the *same* bevel - if you want to try to hit the forehand and backhand on the same side of the strings - which is what I've learned to do. It has vastly improved my returns of all but the best first serves that I face (unless I have to block or slice them) - especially since coming to understand the value and importance of the unit turn (on both sides).

I've looked at a number of one handers on the videos and haven't found one yet who has this same peccadillo.

My game has improved a ridiculous amount since finding tennisplayer.net late in December. I know I get on Mr. Yandell's nerves, but he's still my hero.

Kevin B
                Savannah

Comment

Keep looking--the last player to turn the hand over like that was Little Bill Johnston I believe, although I could be mistaken.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, eh Kevin?

Comment

Dangerous?

Originally posted by johnyandell

Well, I'm not sure what you mean. I know it *can* be, but so far, the only danger has been to my opponents.

I guess it has also been a bit detrimental to a few of my body parts, as I am playing and practicing so much more (and enjoying it so much more) that some parts seem to be starting to complain a bit.

Also, several family members have been reaping the benefits of my improved ability to help with *their* games.

Then, there's also that 20 pounds of extra weight that has disappeared since finding tennisplayer.net.

Kevin B

Comment

Well i used to play that way , as in a western 1hbh and SW forehand.

Over time however i have shifted more to an easternish FH grip so i no longer have that nice bonus of using the same grip for both wings.

Personally i always liked the feeling of having my hand/arm placed sort of "behind" the handle and the respective grips i used allow that.

Comment

You can probably guess right? It's great for Gonzo and Justine. Extremely difficult at lower levels.
                        Yeah, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Roger is a great example, on both sides, that you can get plenty of spin with less extreme grips.

And speaking of Gonzo, that backhand pass was working pretty well against Blake. That was a tough match to watch!

Comment

Keep looking--the last player to turn the hand over like that was Little Bill Johnston I believe, although I could be mistaken.

I believe that Alberto Berasategui hit both forehand and backhand with the same grip on the same side of the racket...he had an extreme western forehand. He was a clay courter, lost to Brugera in '94 French Open final.

Comment

Not sure he turned it over--didn't he just change grips? Don't have any video of him to check it out.

Comment

Berasategui hit his forehand with an extreme western grip. He didn't change his grip to hit his backhand. His backhand grip was continental. I never saw a tennis player hitting with this so extreme grip. I remember that his backhand was so weak.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8022 users online. 6 members and 8016 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X