rubber tiled tennis court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubber tiled tennis court

Just encountered one for the first time today. I didn't even know they existed. Lots of small holes in the surface presumably for drainage. Very rough concrete underneat. Anyone know specifically what this kind of surface is called? I hated it!

The court was unlevel as heck with little depressions every where and with an significant tilt that would cause a ball with only a slight motion to roll from one side of the court all the way to the adjacent one. And the surface itself was a pain. Seemed to absorb a lot of the energy of the ball causing most balls to bounce lower than normal and to slow them down with the noticable exception of flat balls which skidded far more on this surface than any I've played on. They'd really come up on you low and give you no time to hit them. I imagine grass is a little like that. But, the surface seemed to kill my spin and balls that would normally have more unusual bounces would sit up and not be as difficult to hit instead of shooting off to one side or another.

I imagine the surface would be very easy on the legs and save wear and tear on your body. In order to play, my partner and I had to seriously adjust our games so that we played back further than normal to give us more time to hit the flat skidding balls and so we had to run up more towards the net to get up on the normal groundstorkes. We gave up on trying to play a game on the surface because it was just too unusual and instead worked on some drills.

Anyone else play on this surface? Got any comments? How to play on it? The purpose of the stuff? Is if common else where?

Thanks.

Hey, I'll answer my own question. I did a little internet browsing and it turns out the stuff is called Swiss Flex. Jonas Bjorkman is pushing the stuff and the people who sell it have a quote from him saying it's like clay but slower with higher ball bounces than a normal hard court. Not really how I would describe it, though the court is very slow on certain groundstorkes but very fast on flat balls.
    Last edited by jhm36; 04-25-2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Hate it.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2978 users online. 9 members and 2969 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X