The Opposite Arm, great article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Opposite Arm, great article

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading this article. It really applies to me. I'm aware of the role of the opposite arm, but for me, I always felt that I did it incorrectly. I would actually jam myself with it by leaving it out too long, preventing myself from rotating through the shot properly. At least I don't do the "scissoring" effect lol I will do those drills tomorrow (weather permitting) and do some shadow swings before I hit the hay tonight. Great article, and overall excellent issue.

A timely article for me personally. I've been working on the left arm stretch and using the left arm during the unit turn. I've had a lot of positive results on the forehand. This was before the article even came out! So now that it's out, I'm glad that there is somewhere where members can learn about this important issue. Great work Scott Murphy!

Comment

Dear Shooter and Lukman,

Thanks for your positive responses. I'm glad to hear you're conscious of this valuable stroke component and I hope it assists in your nailing your groundstrokes. Keep an eye out for part 2.

Thanks again guys,

Scott Murphy

Comment

Your welcome Scott. I'll keep working on those drills in part 1 until part 2 comes out!

Comment

So I was able to hit with a friend today, and I noticed my timing improved. It really felt like I was able to hit with a better rhythm. Yesterday I hit against a wall to practice it, I'm trying to engrain this (come match time, I bet I'll forget, haha).

Comment

Opposite Arm

I always look forward to Scott Murphy's articles. This particular article was done in excellent fashion. It is contributions like this that separate Tennisplayer.net from all the other instructional web sites!

I have made a copy and enclosed it in plastic so it is available at the court to show students what we are trying to accomplish with the arm action. The students just love pictures!

My suggestion to the students is to subscribe to Tennisplayer!

Great work.

Jerry O'Hara

Comment

Another great article from Scott Murphy. Scott might be interested to know that I learned tennis as a little boy from Bill Murphy in Ann Arbor Michigan in the early 1970's. I believe that Bill was either Scott's dad or his Uncle because Bill and Chet were twin brothers who were both Division 1 College Coaches. I recall that Chet coached at Arizona State and that Bill coached at the University of Michigan and that's why he was in Ann Arbor. I recall tat Bill was the last coach to get the Wolverines an NCAA Championship in tennis with now tennis commentator Barry Mackay leading the team.

Comment

Dear GMann,

I'm actually not related to Bill...While I was at Cal I took tennis with Chet Murphy and really enjoyed that. Thanks very much for the favorable comment on the article.

All the best,

Scott

Comment

Dear Jerry,

Thanks a million for your praise of the article and for spreading the word about Tennisplayer.net. I'm with you...it's a goldmine for players looking to improve.

All the best to you,

Scott

Comment

Great two articles Scott. I have always made active use of my left arm as you describe in your articles. Absolutely essential for correct balance, shoulder positioning and power!

You can always tell a good club player by his/her use of the left arm. Most players dangle their non-playing arm, and it looks awful!

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more Phil...great to hear you're aware of and a user of solid opposite arm use.

Scott

Comment

Scott, sometimes I distance myself too far away from the ball, and end up having to reach for it. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening? I'm not sure if its related to spacing myself with the non dominant arm or if its a footwork issue (or a combination of both for that matter). Any suggestions?

Comment

Yea I get to far away from the ball rather than to close.

Comment

Excellent article. It really backs up what is so universal in viewing the stroke archive. I've been actively drilling the opposite arm and believe it has already helped my power and consistency.

shooter, I won't speak for Scott, but have you tried the drill where you catch the ball with the opposite arm straight on the forehand if you find yourself positioning too far away?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7801 users online. 10 members and 7791 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X