May Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May Issue

The noticeable changes in Paul Goldstein's serve in actual tournament play is just *so* cool. Congratulations to both of you. (Tell him Vince Pulupa says "hello")

Fascinating about his balance issue upon landing.

Might he be opening his hips sooner than Federer does?

Also, might his toss still be a bit further into the court than Federer's, possibly necessitating an earlier hip opening, as well as the loss of balance?

Kevin B

That's possible, but it's a little too facile. I'd be really careful about reading things into the video.

You're probably wrong about the hips, but even if I agreed I would never give it an active interpretation ("he's opening." etc..) This is because the pattern of hip rotation is almost always an effect rather than an independent variable. Certainly in Paul's case. Remember the part about keeping your mouth shut? This is one of those cases. Many things can be left undertermined and solve themselves if the underlying issues are addressed.

It's a fine line between video analysis and video paralysis.

In Paul's case it's probably the same deal on the toss. When he focused on the landing the toss came along fine for the ride.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8016 users online. 6 members and 8010 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X