Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer Serve Articles

John,

Thanks so much for your great articles on the Federer serve. I have been trying to model my serve off of a number of players back and forth for a while now, and your analysis of Federer’s serve has done wonders for my game. Another point which was also incredibly helpful was from the yourstrokes Paul Goldstein article where you talked about having him swing his arm in a circle. After doing that it myself, it was like magic. It made a huge difference and improvement in the way I approached the ball with the racquet.

The reason I was writing was out of curiosity about one thing on Federer’s serve. If you go through a number of the stroke videos of his serve you can see that at somepoint during his career he slightly changed his foot movement. When he first brings his weight back before his toss, in some videos he leaves his front foot on the ground essentially, and kind of turns it slightly, and in others he angled his front foot way up in the air, very a-la Pete Sampras. I was wondering if you knew which was first and which was the more recent motion. I know that this is very idiosyncratic and has very little bearing on the actual serve mechanics, but was nonetheless just something I noticed and was curious about.

Thanks so much,

Scott Newman

I had a similar result, but for me it was modeling my toss after Roger's. Starting out with my arm near my left leg and simply lifting it up. I think my toss is less eratic now. I'll post a video tomorrow.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8173 users online. 5 members and 8168 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X